radiator hose gasket?

I had my radiator replaced with new one recently by the mechanic. While looking over his shoulder I was curious what are those black gasket sealers he puts on the radiator hose? anyone know?

Gasket sealer for Radiator hoses? Thats a new one on me. Are you sure it wasn't goose grease he put on to help slip the hose on easier?
Your mechanic would be the one to ask.
Let us know when you find out.
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~274,329 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Well I remember that he squeeze it (has the trigger like thing) out of a grease gun. And the tube has the number 471 on it something. Is this grease?