Radiator "Pellets"

I remember a discussion in this newsgroup about the pellets that are recommended you put in the cooling system when you do a flush and refill.

Many people said the pellets sold at GM Dealers are made by Barr's Leak and you could safely just purchase a bottle or can of Barr's Leak and use it when refilling the system.

I am about to do this on a '94 Cadillac DeVille with the 4.9 engine, using plain Prestone antifeeze instead of the Dex-Cool, and just wanted to verify with the knowledgeable people here that the info I have in valid.

Thanks for the help..

Reply to
Bob D.

I just got through doing this on my GMC truck and, as I understand it, you *don't* want to use the bottle or canned Bars Leaks in order to duplicate what GM recommends. You want either the Bars Leaks tablets (in a blister pack) or the Bars Leaks "Golden Seal" powder (which comes in a tube and is basically the tablets in powdered form.) I ended up using the Golden Seal powder, which seems easier to find than the tablets.

You can sort them out at

Bob D. wrote:

Reply to
stevejoin

Thanks! That is just the info I needed. Appreciate the help.

Reply to
Bob D.

The GM part # for the tabs is 3634621. A parts store that carries AC-Delco brand will also have the tabs...less than $5

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

What are the 'pellets' suppose to do for you?

Reply to
clevere

Well, I suspect if you ate them, it would bind you up pretty good...... The tablets are a required cooling system sealant for Al block/iron head engines. Not using the sealant will cause a massive cash-flow problem from ones' wallet, due to costly engine problems.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

It is my understanding that they are ground up ginger root. It seals small porosities and voids, preventing the antifreeze from getting to, and eating away at, the head gaskets. After initial skepticism followed by some research, I am convinced of their efficacy. I use the BarsLeaks version of the pellets in the four vehicles under my aegis.

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."

- Justice William O. Douglas

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Thanks Folks for all the replies. I knew all the people on here were smart! :^)

Bob...

Reply to
Bob D.