radiator replacement (Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham)

Hello, how difficult is it to replace the radiator yourself. The car is a 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Brougham. 2.8L V6, FWD, 3speed automatic, has air conditioning. Currently leaking antifreeze on side where drain valve is located, need to top up coolant reservoir every 3 days or so with the orange dexcool type antifreeze.

I have all the tools (i think) and it seems like a simple job, but I am not sure. Are there anything else I have to buy besides (the radiator,the hose,clamps, some extra antifreeze)? I tooked a look and notice that the radiator sits on top of some kind of rubber mount, anyone knows the name of it (I might as well replace this while I am at it)?

I know its not expensive to have a mechanic do the job for you, but sorta want the experience and the high of doing it yourself.

Reply to
Sam Kaan

Radiators are fairly easy to replace. I don't think you need to replace the rubber mounts, they last forever. You may have to remove the electric fan as well. You might as well buy a new radiator cap too.

If you have access to an air hose, blast out the AC condenser once you remove the radiator, blow toward the grille to flush out dirt, leaves & dead bugs, water pressure will work just as well if you don't have an air hose. You be surprised how much dirt will come out of the AC condenser.

If you have a Prestone Antifreeze tester to check the strength of the antifreeze, I usually fill the radiator so its good up to 60 below zero. Better coolant system protection even if it don't get below 50 where you live.. Less trouble too if you run a stronger than 50/50 mixture, at least by my experience. Original radiator & heater core here. Water pump # 3 and only on my second set of the hoses.

Good Luck.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~266,400 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Give the empty radiator support some attention. Wire brush, primer, and paint any rusty areas. Take a good look at the radiator support cushions too. Failed cushions can shorten the life of the replacement radiator. The little strips at the bottom of the radiator support do tend to last forever.

Reply to
451ctds

easy job really, it's squeezed from the plate on top to be held in place. the rubbers on the bottom can stay as long as they arn't broken.

"education is the progressive discovery of our own ignorance" --Will Durant "people who read the tabloids deserve to be lied to " Jerry Seinfeld "if we don't have a sense of humor, we can't have a sense of perspective --Wayne Thiboux

Reply to
Dennis