Radio display fading, Pontiac SF

2000 Sunfire. (mother's)

Display on original radio is that orange/red number type. Half the display is verrrry faint, and half looks fine.

Is that type display backlit with a bulb?

-- GW - note incorrect email address

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

yes

Reply to
Paradox

Is this also true with the 1996 Pontiac Grand Am radio? If so, do you have to pull the radio to change the bulb?

TIA Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

If it's the same orangish red display I'm sure it's the same inside. There are three bulbs. Very special little bulbs that look like LEDs. To get to them you need to

  1. Remove radio.
  2. Remove radio knobs
  3. Remove radio bottom plate
  4. Disconnect wires from radio front circuit board to main circuit board
  5. Remove radio face plate and front circuit board
  6. Remove display window unit from front circuit board. Now you have access to the bulbs

GW

Bill wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks GW. Where carn I get the bulbs? Pepboys?

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

The radio looks like this:

Where can I buy the bulbs? Pepboys? Radio shack? TIA

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

-- GW - Conservational Ergonomist - note incorrect email address "It's good to yell at people and tell them you're from Tennessee. That way you'll be safe." - Gary Busey

Geoff Welsh

try partsexpress.com or mcmelectronics

Reply to
Baboo