random questions on '96 Sihouette

Just got this thing, have a few questions that have me wonder what those GM engineers were smoking when they designed this thing....
What's up with the metal windshield? Seems there's some kind of metal in it
that absorbs electronic toll signal transmitions. Seems to eat GPS to a certain degree too.
Why would they put the antenna for the radio in the roof?
Is there supposed to be an lighting on the environmental control panel? Cause I've got nothing, and I didn't see a place to put any bulbs either. (which put my Japenese cars to shame as far as access to the radio)
I have a hard time believeing that someone at GM looked at the Dodge Caravan, thought "We can do this better", then produced that van. It's just plain weird...