Re: 04 Impala SS Commercial On TV last night.......

:-) He probably knew and endjoyed the challenge to gear the rear end. You'd have to gear a 409" (all else being equal) higher (e.g. 3.73) to
boost the torque higher into the mid-rpm range. A 409" needed no off-the-line help .. . it tended to flag toward the top end, exactly where a Hemi would just keep going and going with its better breathing (especially if the ports were polished and the headers balanced). Funny, I remember very, very few hemi Mopars around here for some inexplicable reason .. . it was all (by '64) Ford 427" vs Chevy 427". I believe the Fords had the edge at that time, Chevy having just dropped out of racing .. .

And you need 360 hp (old rating) to get stuck in traffic?
Do you know a Chevy Prizm/Corolla can do 115 in a straightaway? He beat my 2.8 FI Celebrity and I topped 105 (a guess with 85mph speedo). I had a holeshot on a 40th Anniversary Vette with a 1987 Ford Tempo GL (2.3L FI)! And I've been had by a 19 yo girl in a Justy too. Whoever has nerve wins 75% of the time.
Do you need to believe the crap or do you go to Jimmyz Chevy Shack and promptly read the flyer and kick tires?
It's your lettuce.
| > With the Beach Boys singing "Giddy-Up 409" in the background of the | > commercial, it is more than a little deceptive in the implication that | there | > is a 409ci V8 engine under the hood of the new Impala SS. We all know the | > engine is a V6 half the size...although probably close to the horses of | the | > original "409". But still...don't make a commercial that implies the car | > has a BIG V8 when it doesn't have a BIG V8!!! Yea, I know, most all car | > buffs know, but it's dishonest. | | 409 = 360HP | 3.8SC = 240HP | | FYI | | | | --- | Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. | Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com ). | Version: 6.0.490 / Virus Database: 289 - Release Date: 16/06/2003 | |

Shit, and all this time I thought they were talking about 409 the Kitchen/Bathroom surface cleaner...