Re: 1988 Cadillac DeVille: 134a conversion question done

Update:
I finished the A/C conversion a few days ago. All new seals and orifice tube, but same H6 compressor and even the same accumulator. Vacuumed for an hour. Put
in 8.5 oz ester oil, and roughly 30-32 oz 134a. It works unbelieveable good: 45F at the vent left of the steering wheel. This is my most successful conversion. (that is if it doesn't start leaking).
Thnaks for the tips.
Also, see post 1988 DeVille: is 4.5L best?
Bill

Well Bill, I hope this works out for you. Not installing a new accumulator may come to bite you though. Once that thing is open to the air, it sucks up water and since it probably already was saturated.....Once the desiccant is saturated with moisture, it's useless. When moisture combines with refrigerant it forms hydrochloric acid which is highly corrosive to all system parts. Ester (POE) oil will fail in a high moisture system and that will cause failure of the compressor(lubrication loss). Saving that $40 for a new accumulator may end up costing a lot of $$$. Hope not!
As to the engine?: whether/not an engine is 'good' depends on how it is used and maintained. The biggest complaints about either the 4.5L or the 4.1L was the failures in the head/block seals(cooling system). The were the direct result of folks not using the required cooling system sealant. Another complaint was because of poor fit in the cases which causes oil drips.
Mostly I use my car for trips and I motor along at least at the speed limit. With the AC on I'll get around 23mpg on the highway and around 17mpg in town. I have the 4.1L engine. The way the car is geared, it loves that 90mph mark.....if I'm not using the Cruise Control, it will sneak up to the 90 without me realizing it. Then 75 seems awful slow......but with me close to retirement age and it being 17yrs old, neither needs to be 'racing' along. lol
Hope the AC has a good longevity for you.
Dave S(Texas)
Yeah, I thought of replacing the accum., but the system was dry for several months. The accum was bone dry. I decided what the hell, 134a is $3.62 a can and the oil charge was $5.97 (Wal-Mart).
bye
On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:57:03 -0600 (CST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

It has been 3 weeks now and the A/C is working great. I am amazed at how efficient and cold this Cadillac is, after having owner 1980's Mercedes 300's with there pathetic A/C systems. I have to set it at 74 degrees and on low fan, or put on a coat!
Thanks for all the help.