Re: 1993 cavalier ignition/starter problem...

Water shouldn't hurt, I regulary use engine cleaner, and hose off engine, I drive through puddles, in the rain, go to car washes. Sounds like some "
funny business ". Start by testing grounds, try running a jumper cable from starter housing to negative battery terminal, to verify starter is fully grounding.. Sometimes a skimpy ground lets some current through, but not enough to crank. A good test is, turn on headlights, watch lights as you try cranking. If lights don't dim = open circut in starter. If lights go out = bad ground. If lights dim weak battery. I'd think this is more of a co-incidence, and it would be almost belittleing to think a few drops of coolant would take out a starter. Than again, we're talking modern cars !
My starter experience with a 2.2L engine (on a Corsica)... Turn key, absolutely nothing happens, then a half second later, the starter jumps to life like normal. This happens occassionally (after working properly for years). One time, starter doesn't work at all, had to replace. Its going thru its delay thing again. I don't understand really, I think bad connection somewhere inside starter. Funny thing, when the starter didn't go, the electric trunk release didn't work.
rick
Running down clues helps solve many electrical problems, Since the trunk release isn't working, I'd see where it gets its power. My guess is dirty solenoid wire terminals. Disconnect battery, remove solenoid wires. Big terminal has several power taps, along with battery cable. That's a good place to start. A wimpy connection may be keeping the solinoid from energizing fully. For the ultimate in starter performance get a Ford Conversion which includes a solenoid shunt. The shunt insures a full blast of amperage, no current lost in wiring harness. The Ford Relay can be jumpered with those cheezy Radio Shack jumper wires without the wire getting warm.