Re: 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1L intake manifold

An update to this issue:

After making my complaint to the BBB, I received a phone call late on a Friday afternoon from a GM rep. It was too late to call back on Friday, so I resolved to return the call on Monday. At 7:33 A.M. on Monday I received a call, at my home number from GM. I was not yet awake and the phone woke me up, but I could not get to the phone to answer. When my machine picked up, the person did not leave a message, but caller ID said who it was. Later, at 9:19 A.M., I received another call from GM, this time the person left a message.

I called back about 15 minutes later. After stringing me along, I was again told "no". Given the simple no answer, I could not understand the urgency in calling me three times, once very early in the morning. When I asked the GM rep about the early call, the replied "I'm on the east coast". I informed her that, as a GM customer service representative, she needed to be sensitive to time zone issues in light of the early hour, and that, had I lived on the west coast, this matter would have been even worse. Brandy then became agitated, raising her voice, saying "I called you at 9:30". As I did not wish to hear petty excuses or have a voice raised to me, I hung up the phone.

Unfortunately, I received a letter from the BBB stating they could not help me because my car has too many miles. My view is that yes, my car has 87K mi, but we are not talking about a first time repair, and the repair happened 29K mi, ago.

I am currently considering filing suit against GM. In or out of warranty, the dealer repair should have lasted longer that 29K mi.

Ken

This has been a "monstrous problem" with the 95 up 3.1 and 3.4 GM engines. > They have several updated gasket designs and new bolt torque sequence. I > would do a google search for related topics and websites, Sue them in small > claims court for product negligence and also contact NHTSA and file a > complaint. > > This is my first post to this group. I thought I would let you know > > about my intake manifold problem. > > > > I bought my car new from the dealership. I have had too numerous 3/36 > > warranty problems with the car to list them all here, but one was low > > coolant in reservoir. The dealer said there was no problem and simply > > topped off the coolant. For years I sometimes had to add small > > amounts of coolant to keep the correct level, with no (outside) leaks > > present. This was long before I knew anything about intake manifold > > gaskets. > > > > I had my intake manifold replaced at the dealership exactly 24 months > > ago at 58K mi., due to coolant leaking outside the engine. #4 fuel > > injector was also replaced at that time due to misfire. After the car > > had been in the shop for a day, I was called by the dealer and told I > > needed to purchase a $140 engine flush to get rid of any possible > > debris after the repair. I was told this was required and if I didn't > > do it the repair would not be warrantied. I had purchased a 6/60 > > extended warranty when the car was new for $750. The total I had to > > pay, including my $50 deductible, flush and extra coolant, was $208. > > > > Exactly 24 months later, at 86K mi., SES came on with another misfire. > > When I inspected my engine, it had white sludge in the oil filler > > neck. I brought my car to a local service shop. Diagnosis - intake > > manifold gasket failure and misfire on #4. I called the dealer who > > said the gasket only had a 12/12 warranty. Cost to fix gasket, $600. > > After the repair, and replacing the plugs and wires, #4 continued to > > misfire. I did not have the injector fixed becuase I thought, when > > repaired at the dealer, injectors have a lifetime warranty. I found > > out later that, since it was replaced under the extended warranty, it > > only had a 12/12 warranty. > > > > I felt both dealer repairs failing in 28K mi. was ridiculous, and > > calls into question the quality of repair I received. Both repairs > > should have lasted far longer than they did, 70+K mi. at minimum. > > Interestingly, about a month after the first dealer repair, my battery > > died and car stalled becuase the bolt connecting the wire to the > > alternator had not been tightened fully and was not properly charging > > the battery. Also, the guys who performed the repair the second time > > said they found some things on the engine not properly put together, > > and thought someone inexperienced must have worked on the car at the > > dealership. > > > > I called GM and asked for goodwill assistance, as both dealer repairs > > lasted only 28K. I was told no. I am currently complaining to the > > BBB Auto line. > > > > Any ideas with respect to dealing with GM in light of my complaint > > would be appreciated. I'll keep you up-to-date. > > > > Thanks. > > > > Ken > > > > >
Reply to
gankin247