Re: 1997 Buick Ultra Transmission

I have a 1997 Buick Park Ave Ultra with 112,000 Miles. I have a slight to

>moderate vibration while in gear. It's noticed mostly while idling in drive. >I also notice a slight vibration at highway speeds that comes and goes. At >Around 80MPH I also notice a slight hum and vibration. The transmission >shifts flawlessly and does not slip out of gear or makes any other noises. >I've had the tramsimission flushed at around 102,000 miles and I am doing a >pan drane plus changing the filter this week. Any ideas as to what this >vibration may be? > > >--- >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
JRL

Bad plug wires.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?Pa=BAul=20=3Cpy=AAats=40texxxas=2Enet=3E?

Changed the plugs and wires yesterday. No difference in idle vibration. Looked over the plugs thinking that maybe it was a bad ignition pack and all the plugs look the same (brownish residue). I'm back to square one so I'm still looking for advice.

Reply to
landiu

Wires and plugs were a good thing to try first. Now it gets harder. It sounds like there is more than one, perhaps several, non-related problems. The vib at speed could be wheel balance, etc. The hum & vib @ 80 could be wheel balance, wheel bearing, cvj, etc. The rough idle could be due to a lot of things: injector(s), vac leak, warped/bad intake manifold leaking antifreeze into the engine (3800), dirty throttle plate, dirty bad maf/mat/iac, and a bunch of other things. Probably NOT ign.module, coils, or trans. Check those out first and let us know what you find. Paul.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?Pa=BAul=20=3Cpy=AAats=40texxxas=2Enet=3E?

Wires and plugs were a good thing to try first. Now it gets harder. It sounds like there is more than one, perhaps several, non-related problems. The vib at speed could be wheel balance, etc. The hum & vib @ 80 could be wheel balance, wheel bearing, cvj, etc. The rough idle could be due to a lot of things: injector(s), vac leak, warped/bad intake manifold leaking antifreeze into the engine (3800), dirty throttle plate, dirty bad maf/mat/iac, and a bunch of other things. Probably NOT ign.module, coils, or trans. Check those out first and let us know what you find. Paul.

Talked with a mechanic friend who said the idle vibration may be a harmonic balancer? And that the 80MPH hum may surely be a wheel bearing (tires are 2 months old and vibration was present before the new tires). I'm taking it to him tomorrow for a thorough once over. I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

Reply to
landiu