Re: 1998 lumina service engine light

What kind of crap is this? That's a dumb statement. They are a parts store - not a repair facility. If you want to clear your codes, buy a reader so you can clear them, or take it to a garage. Or - for some codes, give it enough cycles and it will clear itself.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

-
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 18:29:09 -0500, pnsman64 wrote:

Id like to recommend this above post please.
Im in indiana and auto zone does it all the time. Ive never had a problem with them saying you cant. So why would a state have a beef if they cleared your codes???
I better break/fix something so I can rush down and see if they will still clear codes <grin>.
--
coffee
Linux Registered User #449534

-

Nope. It will not report the correct number of cycles, monitors won't be latched, or adequate mileage since the reset won't be reported. Net result - failure.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Your most welcome. I thought it was appropriate. Funny how someone who posts a demanding post such as yours (it's all about me...) comments on the value add of another. Sorry if it didn't satisfy you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Mike pointed out the facts to you. If you read what he said, it is quite helpful. Did you know that the code will clear itself, if given enough driving cycles? Did you know you can buy code readers at parts stores?
80 Knight wrote:

Why should he buy a code reader? I's (apparently) his RIGHT to expect someone else to to pay for the reader, as well as someone else's responsibility to provide free diagnosis. Wonder if he gives away whatever it is he does for a living?

My first inclination is to believe people like him *don't* do anything for a living.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I am in Ontario Canada, and I do not know of any place that even read's the codes for free. Most places like Canadian Tire (basically USA's AutoZone) will read them for around $90. As for clearing the codes, from what I know, they only clear the codes if you either pay them to fix the problem(s), or if you pay the $90 again. That's why I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a scanner. Not the best on the market, but between it's readings, and the information from this group, it does the job nicely.