Re: 89 Cultlass Ciere mystery noise problem!?!!?

You could be describing a bad engine or tranny mount easily.

I check for that by opening the hood and having someone start it, hold the brake down and put it in drive then give it some gas. I then do the same in reverse.

If there is a bad mount there, one of those tests will show it.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@m>

Hi: > > I have a 1989 Cutlass Ciera with the 3.3 liter engine and automatic > tranie...suppose all 3.3's had auto. The car has 75 k miles on it and > runs great. No problems other than the following: > > Recently the car developed a strange and somewhat disturbng noise. > It's a knocking, scraping noise that can be felt slightly in the floor > board BUT!!!!!!! it only occurs under certain conditions. > > When the car accellerates around a left hand turn AND when allowed to > straighten out by itself but still under accelleration the noise is > quite audible. Again it sounds like a thumpng noise. Initially I > thought is was the exhaust hitting the bottom of the car but this is > not the case. > > The noise occasionally also occurs when going over bumps in the road. > > Also under heavy breaking just before the car comes to a stop, but > this my not be related. > > I've crawled around underneath the car many times but can find no > evidence of what may be making this noise. I have NO reason so far to > think it's a CV joint problem. There is no evidence of a problem with > any motor mount. Breaks themselves are fine. > > The noise is NOT gear specific, it occurs in both first and second > gear when accelerating around a left hand turn. Not sure about higher > gears. > > It's not the easiest thing to demonstrate either. Yesterday I went to > an empty parking lot and kept n the gas while going around to the left > until the tires squeeled but no noise was heard!?!?!?!? > > It seems that there also have to be slight road irregularites, i.e. at > least some small bumps in the road. In fact now that I think of it, it > is actually more dominant when going over slightly bumpy roads. > > I did replace the front struts recently but the noise did not develop > until quite some time after this. Just be safe I removed the left hand > strut assembly a week ago but no evidence on any problem. Also I rock > the car up and down all day long while stationary and not hear the > noise. > > I'm really stumped but concerned because this sounds like it may be > something serious or could be at some time in the future. > > There is no evidence of wheel bearing problems but should I consider > this? Is it some type of bezzare tranie problem? > > Any help or pointers would be GREATLY appreciated. > > If possible send or copy any response to: > > snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com. > > TIA > > Marc
Reply to
Mike Romain