Re: 92 Buick Roadmaster Station wagon "surges" (SOLVED) I believe

wrote:
Solved, I believe?
I got down to a possibility which suggested the knock sensor was defective. If so, the timing would be changed at different times. I
disconnected the knock sensor and the surging disappeared. I haven't purchased a replacement yet since they are $50 at AutoZone. I also have no error codes with it disconnected and the car runs super. Gas mileage has gone up about 2 miles per gallon but this may be due to other factors as summer time.
I really discovered this answer because I had the cat converter top cover come loose and rattle at times. I believe the rattle would make the knock sensor believe it was hearing a ping from the engine and the sensor would retard the spark. Once I removed the cover, the surging which had been really bad became less worse. I then asked myself what would be a relationship between the rattle and surging. The knock sensor became a possible answer.
Took a hell of a long time to solve this.
p/s, I don't want to hear reply's about the damage to the engine with the knock sensor disconnected. If you have substantial proof say so and let's see the testing results.
Dan, And have a good 4th of July

To cut a long story short.     The road master would tow a horse trailer weighing 1650 lbs and 1 horse of about 1200 lbs without problems. The transmission shifting issue became apparent when the second horse (another 1200 lbs was added). The tranmsiison began to growl (my daughters words) when going up hills.     I ordered and installed another knock sensor and the wagon runs great, Transports both horses for 1/2 hour or so to shows and no odd sounds, gets about 14 miles to a gallon when towing. This is what the road master is used for. We always have all the horsy stuff in back.     I guess my message is "change the knock sensor if you are having surging problems" and you have tried the many other things. Or just disconnect it for a test run. As a caution, the sensor is inserted into the water jacket and if removed will drain almost all the antifreeze before you realize it. I took the opportunity to change both radiator hoses, the antifreeze, and thermostat, also one heater host.     My MPG on 600 mile trips without horses is about 19/20 mpg. P/s roar master has about 176,000 miles on it.     Which I could find an economical electric radiator fan as a replacement for the existing belt driven fan. The mechanical fan noise is a little much as I get older and low frequencies are more prominent in my hearing range. Anyone have one they would like to get rid of?
Hope this info helps someone, Have a good rest of the summer. Dan