Re: '93 Geo Prizm (Toyota 1.6l) emissions... High NOx and EGR valve?

I figure I'll update this now that the car passed inspection in case anyone else may benefit from the information...
As I suspected the car does not have an EGR valve. I searched more and could
not find anything on the underside of the intake as some people mentioned that it was placed on some model years of this engine. The timing was way advanced , nearly 20*. I set it to 6* and it passed emissions. The car was completely lacking in power after that though, so after getting the sticker I put it at 14* and the car is now at least reasonably safe. It still can't get out of it's own way if it's life depended on it (or my life, for that matter), but at least it's a little better now.
Cory

Cory Dunkle wrote:

And as I suspected......

Why not try setting it to specs? (10 degrees) They're on the VECI sticker under the hood. Did you jumper TE1 to E1 in the diagnostic connector first? Otherwise you won't set base timing correctly.
Toyota MDT in MO

I did not see any sticker under the hood. I tried disconnecting the large plug from the distributor, but that made the car not run. I don't know these silly foreign or modern cars. I know on modern Fords you disconnect the SPOUT plug from the distributor to set base timing, so that's why I tried disconnecting the plug on the distributor. I'm not gonna worry about it, it's my dads car and he's trying to sell it. The base timing is probably more advanced than the factory specs anyhow, so that's a good thing since it isn't pinging. That tiny little engine needs all the help it can get, especially with that automatic transmission. I never understood the point of a torque converter when there isn't any torque to convert...
Cory