Re: 93 grand am air

I have seen five of these cars with partially plugged evaporators(every one that I have seen the evaporator on). One was about 3/4 plugged the least
about 1/8 plugged. It is easy enough to remove the blower motor housing. The hardest part is to pull the steering rack forward to gain access to a couple of fasteners. Remove the two nuts that clamp the rack to the firewall on the right side. Tie a rope around the rack as close to the end as possible, pull the rack forward about 1.5" and tie off the other end to some thing on the front of the car. You can now get to all the fasteners. A 1/4" drive deep well 10 mm socket and universal joint is necessary. A small Milwaukee style driver will make the job much easier. Some fasteners will be hidden so you will need a mirror or feel around. When you get it off you will see the plugged evaporator. Remove what you can by hand and vacuum the rest. Be careful not to damage the fins. This is a good time to spray a deodorizer if needed.
For any one who has to replace a blower motor, I recommend doing it this way. It is actually safer and easier than cutting along the line. Besides, you can clean the evaporator and really benefit from the new fan.

Does this car have cabin filters? if so they could be plugged with dirt and leaves.
Mike