Re: 94 Park Avenue intermittent startup

Logan W. wrote:

Check to see if the Security warning light is on at the dashboard. If it is, then that suggests that the key chip is bad or the contacts in the ignition switch that read the key chip are bad. I would tend to suspect the switch first, but I had a key whose chip *changed* its value overnight (by two notches). The GM parts guy was amazed, and they got me a new one.
---Bob Gross---

I turned the key once today, and it didn't start. I saw that the security light stayed lit. Two seconds later, I turned the key and it started. This happens with more than one key, so it must be the contacts. If I disassemble the steering wheel, can I access the contacts to clean or change them?
Thanks for the help, Logan
Logan wrote:

My problem was the chip in the key, so I did not have to fool with the ignition switch area (so I am not qualified to advise). Have you got the Helm manual?
---Bob Gross---

No, I don't :(. Is there a site with scans of manuals?
Logan
No. They are copyrighted material. GW
"Logan W." wrote: No, I don't :(. Is there a site with scans of manuals?
Logan

Logan, Lesson Number One:
When you buy a GM product, immediately order the Helm manual for it. When you get the manual, sit down, prop up your feet, and read the damned thing cover to cover for about 2-3 days.
Then when or if something acts up, you've got nearly all of the information you need for trouble isolation and maybe DIY repair. If the manual makes it sound like a messy job, then you can take it to a good shop. Several times I have made a correct and difficult trouble diagnosis and then took it to the shop for them to do the work. When or if they try to diverge from the isolation procedure in the Helm manual, then I tell them I will take the car and they are off the job.
---Bob Gross---