Re: 95 Grand AM, last AC question

it MUST be evacuated and then charged. You can't just throw a couple of cans in it and go. Take it to an AC shop, Evac and charge should be about $25 and R134a is 50
cents an ounce ,you need about 1.8 lbs (28-29 oz) so your cost for doing the job right is about $40
: : Hello, : : I have looked at every page in my manual and I find : nothing to tell me how much R134 to put in the system, : can somebody help me? : With the help I got here I have it back together and ready : for refrigerant. Many thanks. : : -- : "My grandpappy told my pappy that In My : Day, Son, A Man Had To Answer For The : Wicked That He'd Done." : : Toby Keith and Willie Nelson : : :
Two cautions about the R134A conversion !!!
One ... Use Ester based oil PAG oil is for new installations only. Ester oil mixes with R 12 oil.. PAG oil is *not* compatible, and will damage system Be cautious of sealers, boosters, and the like, most use PAG oil, and will damage system. Ester based oil shots are available wherever R134A is sold. A single can will do.
Two ... Install the Acme type valves that come in the conversion kit. ** Never ** use compressed air to test an R 134A system ! Compressed air will oxygenate R 134A, producing a combustable mix.
I converted both my El Caminos some time ago, and am happy with results. R 134A isn't as good a refridgerant as R 12, so performance will be * slightly * poorer. On the other hand, top offs are much cheaper, which more than makes up for any loss in performance.
I can't get anybody thats qualified to LOOK at an automobile for $40 in Vegas, but I will take it to an AC shop for charging. Thanks for your help.