Re: 95 Grand AM, last AC question

Two cautions about the R134A conversion !!!

One ... Use Ester based oil PAG oil is for new installations only. Ester oil mixes with R 12 oil.. PAG oil is *not* compatible, and will damage system Be cautious of sealers, boosters, and the like, most use PAG oil, and will damage system. Ester based oil shots are available wherever R134A is sold. A single can will do.

Two ... Install the Acme type valves that come in the conversion kit. ** Never ** use compressed air to test an R 134A system ! Compressed air will oxygenate R 134A, producing a combustable mix.

I converted both my El Caminos some time ago, and am happy with results. R 134A isn't as good a refridgerant as R 12, so performance will be * slightly * poorer. On the other hand, top offs are much cheaper, which more than makes up for any loss in performance.

Reply to
451ctds

I can't get anybody thats qualified to LOOK at an automobile for $40 in Vegas, but I will take it to an AC shop for charging. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Scott