Re: '97 Lumina spark plug change

Chock tires Place trans in neutral Remove front upper engine ("dog bone") supports. Use 2x4 or pry bar to rock engine forward.

GW

wils> I would like to replace the plugs in this '97 3.1L Lumina. The front ones,

of course are easy. I can't see a way to get my fingers, much less a wrench, > near the rear three. I thought aha! - that's why I bought that expensive > service manual. It will tell me the secret method. I was wr> "Remove spark plug wire(s) from spark plug(s). Remove spark plug(s) from > engine." > Anybody know the secret? Looks like removing the coils might help some, but > don't want to start down the wrong path, especially since it's running OK > now.(96k miles).
Reply to
Geoff Welsh

That would be a neat trick if he could prop up the engine with one hand and at the same time change the rear plugs with his other hand. Seriously though, I think GM makes a sort of ratcheting strap to hold the engine in place after its been pryed up.

Reply to
Jimmy

A couple of things make it a little easier...

Geoff mentioned pulling the engine forward using a rachet strap wrench. I picked my first one up at the auto parts store for $ 10. and found one on sunday at a flea market for a buck. Remember to put the transmission in neutral.

second... on plug one and three.... two end plugs one on each side, it's a little easier (if you have small hands), to reach around the side of the engine rather than over the top.

Last, (and I'm off my soapbox), some cars have a metal case around the spark plug boot. This case is NOT connected to anything and can be grabbed with a vise grip to twist the plug boot loose. (makes it a lot easier). Try not to bend or dent the case.

Use di-electric grease on the inside of the boot (lightly please), when you reassemble. Makes it easier to get the boots off second time around.

Pulling the plug wires ain't easy but thanks to the advice by Geoff and some others on this ng, it can be done !!!

Reply to
Peter

NO WAY! Not necessary. Anyone who removes engine mounts and rocks an engine to replace a spark plug has been to Autozone one time too many!

Gary

Reply to
GARY

....and anyone who blasts helpful correct responses to posts with no legitimate input is a flamer..... SW

GARY wrote:

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Final caution, just in case you're an 800 lb gorilla, the engine will only tilt forward a small amount 1" or so, but that's all you need. Don't try to rip it out of the car !!!

Reply to
Peter

Hi.... I'm Jimmy and I'm special.

Although, I do now believe Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

OK, it's done. Just finished before latest 2" rain storm. Took about an hour and a half, because 2 of the 3 rear boots were pretty tough to break loose. It was tough to get a good grip with wrist so contorted. I used an old motorcycle tie-down strap to hold the engine tilted about 1 1/4 in. forward. Used the big hoisting point next to one of the dogbones, and a sheet metal lip near the headlight as hook points. Rear plugs swapped using braille system. Couldn't see anything. Overall, not too much bloodshed. Oh yeah- the old plugs looked very good at 96K. Clean running engine, I guess. And since I rarely buy plugs anymore, $6 each for the AC 41-940s was a bit of a surprise, but they last so well I not complaining. Thanks again for all the good tips.

Bruce

Reply to
wilson73