Re: Alternator brands

Rich B wrote

I rarely buy parts at the dealer because they are grossly overpriced. >The only time I deal with other suppliers is when I'm out of the area >and need a part immediately but it is usually for my daughter's >vehicles. When I can, I look for NAPA because I trust their parts and >the people that sell them. If I were you, I would check to see if there >are some good parts dealers within a reasonable driving distance.

Interesting sequel... about Advance Auto Parts a.k.a Discount Auto and Western Auto.

I needed to have an alternator tested for a friends car... friend lives about 30 miles from me. I'm pretty satisfied with the local Advance Auto parts house, so I figured I'd recommend a few in my friends neighborhood.

What an eye-opener.... I drive the 30 miles, and go into the first store.... back to the parts counter, no parts guy.... I wait about 10 minutes while guys are stocking the shelves and the checkout girl is talking on her cell phone.... still no assistance. So I go to the checkout counter... and wait another minute or so while the girl finally puts the phone on hold. I ask her about the counter guy... she pages him and he comes in through the front door.

So I ask him if he could test the alternator..... "Can't do that" say's he.... the testers been broke for several weeks now. But they still have the big ass poster in the front window advertising that they can test out alternators and starters.

Problem continues.... I look up another store, located about 10 miles away. This time I CALL before going there...."YES, we have a tester". So I trek up there, in the meantime it starts thundering and pouring rain. Finally locate the store and walk inside soaking wet. Put the alternator on the counter and ask them to check it. The counter guy say's "Can't test it, our tester's been broke for weeks. Try the other store."...

I'm going to locate a decent parts house tomorrow !!!

Reply to
Peter