Re: Cavalier Door Pins

On 4/3/06 3:56 PM, in article 36fYf.218468$B94.44367@pd7tw3no, "Mike" spewed forth this gibberish...

Has anyone changed the drivers door pins on a 2000 cavalier? Bought the > Service manual and it seems that you have no choice but to buy the hinges at > $200 a pair. The pins are riveted on from what I can see. Looks like a > grinder and some patience in a tight area might do. > If anyone has any experience on this please feel free to post

Having done this once on an old Celebrity I'd say it's definitely worth the money to have someone who knows how do it for you. The door spring is a major pain to get back in (getting it out is just a matter of finding it after it springs out). Not sure if the setup is still the same but a big hammer and punch takes the pins out.

Reply to
Michael Keefe

I'll have to look at my daughter's 2000 Sunfire when she gets home from work later tonight - haven't looked to see what the hinge pins on it look like before. Previous pins I've removed just had a friction lock on the top of the pin. You pull it off and drive the pin out with a hammer and punch. Like Mike said - the spring is a pain, but if you compress it in a regular bench vise and tie it compressed with a coat hanger or the likes, you can pry it into place with a bit of swearing and grunting. Simply cut the coat hanger after it's in place.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
Mike