Re: Cutlass 3.4l

Ask if the manifold gasket has been changed recently. IF it has, you would be good to go. If not, negotiate the cost of possible repair out of the price. If it works out and you buy the car, have the manifold gasket
changed right away. My sister has a 1995 hardtop with the 3.4 with 84K on it and no leak yet. Not to say it won't leak eventually.....
And what belt are you referring to? I have not heard of that issue
John

This is not the same engine as the pushrod 3.4, the belt is important and expensive, in general this engine is expensive to do any kind of component repairs to, check the convertible for leaks especially at speed in the rain, lots of problems with this.

"BillW" wrote

He's talking about a different 3.4. The one in his vehicle is the 3.4 DOHC engine. It does not have the same type of lower intake manifold issues as the pushrod engine. But it does have it's own lower intake manifold issues. Vacuum leaks, to be specific.
Ian
ah...call me enlightened...Have not had the chance to work on one of those yet. Must now do research and learn something.

will
"Dan Boughton" wrote

I assume intrusion/non intrusion means that you are referring to whether the engine is an interference engine or not. It's "not" an interference engine. But it has problems. Oil leaks that require the rear cylinder head be removed....lower intake gasket vacuum leaks, timing belt failures due to worn idler pulleys, labour intensive alternator replacement procedure....etc.
But if it's running good....it's a great little engine.
Ian
To replace the alternator .. it's gonna cost around 300.00 in labor ..