Re: Defeat ABS Brakes on 94 Chev. Lumina Sedan

Page 1 of 2
Hi Edwin,
My mom (her car) is not having any problems with them at this time, but a friend of mine, who has them, said they are not good in Winter under slippery
condition. He said, he pumps his brakes (when he begins to slide) which seems to bypass the ABS system.
Brad

Never pump your brakes when driving a car with an ABS system, it will only confuse the ABS and possibly increase your stopping distance.
nate
Brad wrote:

The benefit of ABS is you don't have to pump and you can stop straight or steer. IMO, they are at their best in slippery conditions in the winter. Of course, they are not a substitute for common sense and slowing down when slippery. I just don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect them.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

when
them.
Here's a clue for you, they don't necessarily fail safe. I know, it happened to me (they simply wouldn't stop the car, coupled with a gurgling noise emanating from under the hood) more than once (to no avail, I nearly put my foot through the firewall trying to stop) before the dash light came on (now permanently) indicating a problem. Although neither slow-speed occasion resulted in an impact, I have no desire to either relive those experiences nor have them repaired just to await a possible repeat performance pending the next failure.
Greetings,
Since I'm sure you had both problems fixed after they happened, just what went wrong with the ABS that caused your foundation brakes to fail? Was it an ABS-specific part or something like a master cylinder?
I've looked over ABS brakes both on vehicles on on schematics and the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem of the magnitude that you describe would be either a broken coupling or a crimped line either into or out of the ABS pump, which in and of itself is not a problem with the ABS but with the plumbing that could have happened anywhere.
Please let us know.
Cheers - Jonathan

In more than two years of driving since the described incident(s), I've yet to encounter any other problem whatsoever with the braking system other than the amber? ABS light continues to remain illuminated. Should it not have been clear, the pedal cannot be "worked" down to the firewall.

time,
or
winter.

I don't care about clues, what counts are facts.
If you had two failures, I can understand your reluctance to "fix" them. Facts are, anything mechanical or electrical will eventually fail. In my experience, they have been a help and have not failed, so my plan is to continue using them.
wrote in message

You posed the inquiry: "I just don't understand why anyone would want to disconnect them". You were presented with factual evidence as to how and why it is that a user decided to no longer trust a specific, critical system that unexpectably failed in a wholly unacceptable manner. What you choose for yourself is neither my concern nor was it my motivation for providing an answer to your lack of understanding.
The question should be WHY are the brakes not working. In the event of a compete failure of the ABS, the vehicle will still have convention braking, the only thing lost is the anti locking feature. The problem is apparently with the brakes, not the ABS. .
Take the vehicle to a competent technician to determine the fault, with the conventional brakes, before you kill yourself, WBMA.
mike hunt
wrote in message

As unmistakably explained earlier, the conventional/ foundation brakes continue to operate flawlessly to this point in time. You cleary have quite significant difficulties with logic and reading comprehension.
wrote in message

them.
my
And you, are quite the moron. If your brakes still work, what is it you want?
wrote in message

And you take the proverbial cake. You are positively imbecilic! Try, just TRY re-reading the thread (I'll give you a week, you'll quite evidently require every last second of it) and see if you can find ANYWHERE where I've come close to so much as implying a request for anything other than perhaps competence, which is so clearly in short supply with your ilk.
wrote in message

In
Yawn. You posted that your ABS light was on, so I assumed you required assistance. Unfortunately, I think you need 'alt.why.am.I.a.prick' instead of a GM group.
wrote in message

Not even a "moron in a hurry" could have legitimately thought that that was my point or come to that conclusion from my words and what has been posted here by others. And given that it's all undeniably here in writing, there really are only two possibilities: You are either even more stupid yourself, or hope and expect that your audience must be, although I can't imagine who it could be that you think you're actually kidding. Res ipsa loquitor.
You are a transparent liar, an attempted cheat and a total buffoon.
wrote in message

"fix"
fail.
Yawn, again. You know, Newbies like you really amuse me. Maybe you should try not being a prick. You just may run into trouble with your car one day, and come back here to get help. Do you know what makes us here better then you? Even after you treat us like crap, we would still help. By the way, try and spell your Latin the way the rest of the world does. ;-)
wrote in message

I've been an irregular on usenet since the late 80's. You can rest assured in the relatively certain knowledge that I've forgotten more about computer systems and sciences than you'll likely ever either know or for which you will have so much as an awareness.
And just why might a retired graduate electrical engineer with a background as a Chrysler/Plymouth line mechanic in his youth, possibly require or request the assistance of a pretentious poseur like yourself?
Congratulations on having caught an inconsequential typo. You'll find others in my typing as well. But if your empty, miserable life is so obviously impoverished, wanting and devoid of actual meaning that for it to have any value whatsoever you require resorting to cruising newsgroups for perceived errors in spelling or punctuation (therewith providing your sole raison d'etre), far be it from me to deny you that perquisite.
I await with bated breath your next inane and laughable statements and analyses.
wrote in message

unexpectably
Yawn, once more, for the road.
wrote in message

competence is clearly in short supply with your ilk..You are an attempted cheat and a... ____________________________________
Are you trying to say "accomplished" cheat?
Or perhaps "contemptible" cheat?
Thank you for your many messages. We are lucky you are willing to commit so much of your time and energy to amuse those of our ilk.
Rodan.
"Unmistakably explained." Really? What I was responding to was the statement "they don't necessarily fail safe. I know, it happened to me (they simply wouldn't stop the car, coupled with a gurgling noise emanating from under the hood) more than once (to no avail, I nearly put my foot through the firewall trying to stop)
mike hunt

And just what was it in or about the following paragraph posted Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:28 PM in this thread that so thoroughly escaped your comprehension:
"In more than two years of driving since the described incident(s), I've yet to encounter any other problem whatsoever with the braking system other than the amber? ABS light continues to remain illuminated. Should it not have been clear, the pedal cannot be "worked" down to the firewall."
The intellect of the denizens in Usenet Newsgroups has declined to the point of rendering this once worthwhile utility largely valueless for anything other than humor.

of