Re: Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10

Page 2 of 2
news:nNOdnQbHw5TRaurfRVn-

guess
point),
you
I thought it was an odd concept as well. How many times was Chrysler in bankruptcy? A couple at least. That may be one way to break contractual situations which have evolved out of hand.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.nix wrote:

Would you like to guess again? Hint: its a smaller number than "a couple" and in fact its equal to the number of times cows have sprouted wings and flown over the moon.
There are a lot of myths about the great "Chrysler bailout." Its very popular to believe that "the government pumped money into Chrysler to save it." That is false- the government simply GUARANTEED private loans to Chrysler, which Chrysler ultimately paid off early and without the government giving Chrysler one red cent. Its also popular to believe that "Chrysler went bankrupt" (and add "a couple of times" if you are the previous poster!) That is also false- the company was certainly on the edge of bankruptcy in 1979, but never went over the edge and recovered without a bankruptcy filing.
So the answer to the question is "zero."
You are correct that they never had to file bankruptcy but they were functionally bankrupt at least two times.
They got loan guarantees, tax credits, etc which actually kept them out of the bankruptcy courts.
They dodged (no pun intended) the bullet, but not the gunfight.
Chrysler Europe avoided filing bankrupcy by selling the operation to the French.
Chrysler America avoid filing bankrupcy by asking for loan guarantees based upon tax credits, if my memory serves.
So you are correct that they never entered bankrupcy filings, but on at least these two occasions, the operating units were out of working capital (in essence, bankrupt). They were saved by a white knight in the one case, and by Lee Iacocca's brilliant maneuvering in the second.
On Wed, 4 May 2005, Steve wrote:

I'm sure he would. That's what HLS does best: belligerently substitute ignorant guesses for knowledge he doesn't have.

And you are still a prick, Kyle.

Nope, you need a friend. Google to see meaning of word. Someone with a Tech 2 or compatable can turn the DRL's off. It's a simple option that turns them off via the vehicles computer. Why is this concept so hard for some who read this group to understand... Be friendly to people who work on your vehicle. Remember there is no law requiring DRL's in the U.S. So there is no penalty for turning them off.

All the GM techs I spoke with towed the GM party line. All I approached said it can't be done without GM corporate approval of the waver form and only military, police or government are eligible to file the waver. The rest of us (that don't get the same discounts either) don't rate, apparently!
The local independent shops most all told me either it can't be done or they didn't want to be party to any possible future liability. In short, won't touch it.

Did any of these people know you? Were they your friends?? Does the concept of making friends and then getting something done seem alien to you? There is no law requiring DRL's in the U.S. Thus by disabling them you are not breaking any law. Future liability has nothing to do with it. Another route for you is to buy a Tech 2 compatable scan tool. Then you can disable them for people who you do not know and who are not your friends. If you cannot handle any of the above try a $50 bill...

I was just relaying the experiences of the typical customer without friends in the auto mechanic business.
I already know the NHTSA rule for DRL's is that their use is voluntary.
Curious, why are people not all over Toyota for its use of DRLs on the vehicles it makes? They force them on US consumers just like GM does. Not sure of their systems for disabling them though...
On Sun, 15 May 2005 19:01:59 -0400, "James C. Reeves"

Heck, James, just use a BFH. That will take your DRL's out.

Don't need to. My vehicles don't have DRL's...never did.
So you must have confused me with the person with the S-10 that started this thread. Or the private investigator with the Impala a few months back, or the person with the Buick Regal, or the person that just wanted to run his AC at the drive in movie (but couldn't since he couldn't turn his DRLs off), or the person that wants to enter camp sites at night with only parkers (as a courtesy to the other campers) but can't, or any one of dozens of other people that have posted here wanting/needing to disable their DRLs (or auto headlamps) for one legitimate reason or another. Of course, if GM understood how people actually used their cars, perhaps they would design the lighting controls correctly to meet the requirements.
On Mon, 23 May 2005, James C. Reeves wrote:

If GM understood how people actually used their cars, perhaps they wouldn't be swirling in a toilet bowl full of red ink.

One would think that they would understand the business they are in. :-( But Lutz's comments a while back about forcing things on the customer is apparently coming home to roost. Maybe GM is starting to listen with the recent management shakeup. One can only hope.
On Mon, 23 May 2005, James C. Reeves wrote:

Oh, I didn't see those. Got a link or at least some elaboration?
James C. Reeves wrote:

Nope; I saw a dumbass onstar ad just tonight. They're hosed.