Re: Disable DRL'S on 2002 S-10

US

Most buyers are not upset about it. I only wonder why people who hate them so much buy those vehicles in the first place.

Reply to
Rich256

Other than the miniscule fuel consumption they incur (that other people CLAIM and it's not even an issue to me), I see NO issues with the DRLs on my truck. I'm not looking at the front of MY truck while I'm driving it.

The other side of it is that GM doesn't have to make 2 wiring harnesses, one for Canada with DRLs and one for the US without. All it is now is a slight software change since the US version allows the disable trick I've explained, Canada wouldn't allow that.

Now, the AHLs, I really couldn't care either way, but I also can disable those with the same trick as the DRLs. I DO see where some people have a valid complaint about that feature.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Ah, read the public comment dockets over the past 8-9 years at the NHTSA. The ratio is 96%+ of comments submitted in opposition to DRLs. That seems to tell a different story from your assumption. But even is it was only 10% of the public instead of 90%...why even write off 10% of the public from buying your product when it's totally/completely unnecessary to do so?

Regarding you question. Beats me. I would guess most don't, actually. Those that do simply put up with them. But ask Harryface why he bought a car recently with them after stating many times he doesn't like them. He's already planning some way to black them out with some sort of shield when on camping trips (separate thread here). It would be easier on the customer if GM simply provided a switch...don't ya think?! ;-) There is a real "DUH" factor here on GM's part.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

JCR,

Maybe I can get those headlight decals NASCAR Monte's have that look like headlight asseblies and stick um over mine.. LOL

Building the Red Oak center console is the first project. I need storage space & no tip cup holders.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

I like that idea! ;-)

Sounds like you've been having way too much fun these past few days working on that new Park Avenue Haryface! I wish I was there with you!

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I've had it a week and haven't done anything except rotate the tires today. I didn't even wash it yet. Dealer cleaned it good. I wiped some protectant on all the weatherstrips. Its going to Tennessee on Thursday. I've only put like 400 miles on it so far.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Reply to
Harry Face
3 amber lights behind the tiny holes in the portholes might look nice.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue 91 Bonneville LE, 303,149 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

All the GM techs I spoke with towed the GM party line. All I approached said it can't be done without GM corporate approval of the waver form and only military, police or government are eligible to file the waver. The rest of us (that don't get the same discounts either) don't rate, apparently!

The local independent shops most all told me either it can't be done or they didn't want to be party to any possible future liability. In short, won't touch it.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Did any of these people know you? Were they your friends?? Does the concept of making friends and then getting something done seem alien to you? There is no law requiring DRL's in the U.S. Thus by disabling them you are not breaking any law. Future liability has nothing to do with it. Another route for you is to buy a Tech 2 compatable scan tool. Then you can disable them for people who you do not know and who are not your friends. If you cannot handle any of the above try a $50 bill...

Reply to
Edward Strauss

I was just relaying the experiences of the typical customer without friends in the auto mechanic business.

I already know the NHTSA rule for DRL's is that their use is voluntary.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Curious, why are people not all over Toyota for its use of DRLs on the vehicles it makes? They force them on US consumers just like GM does. Not sure of their systems for disabling them though...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Heck, James, just use a BFH. That will take your DRL's out.

Reply to
<HLS

Don't need to. My vehicles don't have DRL's...never did.

So you must have confused me with the person with the S-10 that started this thread. Or the private investigator with the Impala a few months back, or the person with the Buick Regal, or the person that just wanted to run his AC at the drive in movie (but couldn't since he couldn't turn his DRLs off), or the person that wants to enter camp sites at night with only parkers (as a courtesy to the other campers) but can't, or any one of dozens of other people that have posted here wanting/needing to disable their DRLs (or auto headlamps) for one legitimate reason or another. Of course, if GM understood how people actually used their cars, perhaps they would design the lighting controls correctly to meet the requirements.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

If GM understood how people actually used their cars, perhaps they wouldn't be swirling in a toilet bowl full of red ink.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

One would think that they would understand the business they are in. :-( But Lutz's comments a while back about forcing things on the customer is apparently coming home to roost. Maybe GM is starting to listen with the recent management shakeup. One can only hope.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

Oh, I didn't see those. Got a link or at least some elaboration?

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Nope; I saw a dumbass onstar ad just tonight. They're hosed.

Reply to
JohnH