Re: Door won't open

Harry,

Here we go.... This will be a long winded response. The exterior door handles were prone to rusty internal mechanisms, on that model year. I have dealt with this many times. There are 2 ways to go about this. I will list them below.

First way:

Get a can of rust penetrating oil spray (WD-40,.. etc.). One with a spray tube (that little red straw that you stick in the spray nozzle). Insert that straw under the exterior door handle "thumb push button". If you look at the thumb button, there is a gap under it. Spray around in circles, and try to get it all around, inside the door, near the handle. You only need to push the tube in about 3/4 to 1 inch. Now,... beat on the door handle moderately, and then try the push button. If you start to feel the push button getting some resistance, but then it feels like there is nothing there the second time, than this is working. You may have to repeat this many times before the door opens. When you get resistance on the full stroke of the push button, you have fixed your problem. Beat, spray, push the button.

The thumb button is not connected to the "open door rod". The button is spring loaded and merely pushes a lever that is attached to a rod. That lever is stuck in the "open" position inside the door due to corrosion. Beating on the door handle helps it return to it's original position, after you have sprayed it with penetrating oil. This is also the reason you can't open the door from the inside. It's like someone is pushing the button on the outside, when you try to unlock the door from the inside. There is a mechanical conflict.

Second way:

Remove the door panel. This is easier if you remove the back seat. This way you have room to swing the bottom of the door panel upwards. Then you can get at the lever at the exterior door handle and move it back.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Harry,

Forget about removing the door off it's hinges. To do this, you must be able to open the door first.

Keep trying my first way of opening the doors. Sometimes if the penetrating oil soaks in for a few days, the door will open. Spray, beat, and push the button. Don't beat so hard as to knock the handle off the door though. If you have a rubber hammer, that would be best. You could use your hand, but don't hurt yourself. You don't have to hit it that hard.

If you want to know what I'm talking about, when I say resistance in the push button? Try to open a door that works fine. Feel the difference? With the bad door, the thumb button goes in and out, like there is nothing there.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude

Your description fits my door symptoms very closely. Your first method sounds like an excellent way to go about solving this problem. I'll be patient for several days while trying it. Thanks so much for your advice. It's good to receive words of wisdom from someone who has been there.

Reply to
Harry McGuffin

Harry,

Let me know if you get the the door opened. I post help on this group for free. The only sastisfaction I get, is to know that I have helped someone. That's enough for me.

I'm a mechanic, and I give advise to persons that seek it in this group, but only on the weekends.

GMdude

Reply to
GMdude