Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

You have yet to demonstrate that SUVs are safer. Why are there more fatalities per SUV than other types of vehicle?

LOL is correct. The stunt drivers are professionals. Clearly, the SUV drivers on the road are not.

You claim to be a former engineer and except us to compare NASCAR trucks to SUVs? Come on. NASCAR trucks have a much lower center of gravity, and are much closer to the ground than just about any SUV. NASCAR trucks and cars are similar. The only difference is that the truck has a different shape. It is just as low with the same type of suspension as the car.]

Jeff

Well, if anyone got hurt, he certainly deserved it more than the innocent people he endangered with his wreckless driving. The dude was driving recklessly. I witnessed it. He was weaving in and around other cars and was speeding. If anyone got hurt from it, it's best to be him, since he caused it.

Reply to
grappletech

"Mike Hunter" wrote in news:ip-cnamo8qK snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

As an engineer, you know that the laws of physics also mean that if a huge SUV hits a small car, the the occupants of the smaller car are in proportionaly more danger than the SUV occupants, which of course you already know. Whereas, if a small car hits another small car, then there is less mass and less energy of motion to be absorbed by the cars and their occupants, but of course smaller cars have less metal for use as crumple zones. Are the odds of people getting hurt by crashing 2 small cars together higher/more than that of 2 larger SUV type vehicles crashing? And obviously, a crash between an SUV and a GEO Metro is unfortunate, and the odds of the Metro driver getting hurt are high.

Reply to
grappletech

Quite likely - with the obvious exception of your typo above.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, you are wrong there Mike. Subject to eratic turns the SUV is indeed more likely to roll over than a car with a center of gravity several inches lower. BTW - the ctg is more than a two inch difference. Don't argue - just simply go look out your window.

That has got to be one of the most assinine statements I've ever read.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I'm obviously not referring to the numbers of deaths and injuries but their rates. Why did we go from having the lowest rates to the seventh lowest?

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You are free to believe whatever you wish, I will not waste my time doing homework for a fool ;)

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So that's why you don't do your own homework. ;-)

I mean you never did your homework to back your claim that the first digit of the VIN has anything to do with how much US content a vehicle has. And when I did my homework, I found that you were making a fool of yourself. Now you have confirmed it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

(...)

That's fine. It's not my top priority either. In fact, I don't own any of the Toyotas I named. It is a big deal for many people, however. I just wanted to point out that the domestic makes seem utterly uncompetitive on this important criteria, alienating a major market segment. I think it's remarkable that even the subcompact and compact cars from *all* the domestic makes are such underperformers in the MPG department.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong