Re: Foreign cars pass Big 3. but not on a steep grade

Page 5 of 5

DUH you can believe what you want to believe but check YOUR facts, the three top three selling vehicles in the US for 2005 were the Ford F150, Chevy Silverado and the Dodge RAM. Number four was the Camry
mike hunt

Like I said you are free to believe whatever you choose.
mike

mack wrote:

You obviously have never seen someone coming out of a warehouse club such as Sam's Club. You would think they had a gang of 20 at home.

Our minivan has most of the seats out, and it gets pretty filled after a trip to Costco (but with a minivan there's so much room, you don't have to cram everything in). It's good to stock up; you can save a ton of money. We buy about 6 months worth at a time of dish/laundry/hand soap,shampoo,toiletries,over the counter meds,paper goods like TP,paper towels, trash bags, cleaning supplies, bulk foods in huge quantities (canned veggies/soups/candy,etc). Our pantry looks like a mercantile after shopping at costco. Shelves all filled neatly. Then all we need to buy at the grocery store is meats, veggies, potatoes, etc.. You can save some coinage.
Plus it makes me almost ready for disasters/terrorist stuff. I have 100 gallons of treated drinking water in reserve, 10 boxes of Remington shotgun shells/.44 Magnum ammo, generator, first aid kit with antibiotics. If you haven't yet done so, You should store some fresh water (empty it out occasioanlly to keep it fresh) and stock up on some basics in case some nutcases come over here and start jacking with our water supply or doing other shit. Also, keep a boomstick or 2 handy in case those who didn't plan come to take your family's viddles and potable water. Also, learn some hand to hand combat -- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Judo or Submission Grappling.
-

The readers and contributors to this newsgroup seem to be getting their exercise by jumping to conclusions. Mike reads my post and assumes (wrongly) that I'm being pompous and wanting everyone to 'do as I do", instead of realizing that what I was talking about was (as another reader correctly inferred) that I was talking about people who buy trucks not because they require them for their jobs or frequent tasks of hauling big items, but because their size "might" come in handy "sometime". (Or maybe they're trying to do their share in the area of gasoline consumption?) I think we've all seen soccer moms transporting their ONE child to a soccer game in a Ford Excursion or Chevy Suburban....and that's the only reason they have such a behemoth vehicle. I have nothing against folks who own trucks who actually use them for their utility values, a point lost on Mike (who admits to being 'testy'.) And yes, Dave, I have indeed seen people exiting Sam's Club (and Costco) ....and the local supermarket....carrying enough supplies to outfit a summer camp for 200 children. I do get around, just like you.

wanting
(as
"might"
Alas mack, I can be held a tad guilty (is that like a little bit pregnant?) by my own earlier admissions. Though I like to think of myself as a pretty balanced guy, I take refuge in the fact that balance means that for every rational thought I have there must be something less rational popping up here and there...

soccer
values,
Not really.

One's words can sometimes come back to haunt one...

While I really do understand what you were trying to say mack, it remains that there are several reasons why people drive what they do. In some cases it is all about the fashion statement, or it's about the macho statement, but in plenty of other cases it's because the household has a mixed need. Often times that mixed need does is not supported by income or desire to own two vehicles. So - for 20% or 30% or 40% (pick a number) of the time they really need a van or a Suburban, or a Pick Up. The remaining time something else would do. Economics and other factors drive the decision on what to buy. Are there alternatives to those decisions? Sure, but none of us can sit in the cat bird's seat and make a judgment on those decisions absent the insight. That's really what I was getting at in my comments.
Besides... have you ever seen how butt ugly a gun rack looks in the back window of a Honda Accord?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net