Re: G M is still number one

The best influence MB had on Chrysler was to switch their car from FWD to better handling, less costly to build RWD.

mike hunt

In article > , > snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jas> >> The first couple of years of the take over resulted in almost no major >> changes in regard to the vehicles made by Chrysler. I don't have a list >> in >> front of me but I subscribe to Car and Driver magazine. It's obvious that >> Mercedes-Benz is now in the process of not making any models that are >> losing money in terms of sales records. They are also installing engines >> made by Mercedes in some of the Chrysler models. > > As I see it it's Chrysler engines in Mercedes (the V8 Hemi) and Mercedes > drive trains in Chryslers; again the 300. > Now we have the Mercedes B200 and the Chrysler Caliber, both FWD with CV > transmission. I'd suggest the engine/drive train are from the Chrysler > side. > The B200 is almost twice the price of the Caliber, but much better > finished.
Reply to
Mike Hunter

You are right on that one Mike. Imagine how silly it would have been to put that huge hemi in a FWD car, the sliding front wheels would be useless for steering on a corner.

I'm sure the street traffic burners like the RWD 300 much better, to say nothing of the smiles on the faces of stock car racers.

Didn't Volvo blow it by going FWD. My Volvo loving brother in law was confused by that move for several years, but finally bought one of the FWD Volvos. I guess a Volvo was more important to him than RWD. If Volvo did it for their snowy streets, not the best. When the streets are snowy and slippery smart drivers stay off of them, else they get crushed by an out of control large SUV.

Reply to
Spam Hater

RWD vehicle have another advantage of FWD, lower insurance premiums ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter