Re: G M is still number one in 2006

Can't prove it by me. My one grand son has a 2004 Honda that is always in

> the shop. He wanted to be like his 'buds' and drive a ricer, now he > things he should have kept the 2003 Focus I gave him. What really pisses > him off is he had to pay for the Civic and all the mods. I not longer buy > imports, even if I don't drive them. ;) > > > mike hunt

LOL. I think the Ford Focus set a record for the most recalls for one model. My neice couldn't wait to trade her Focus in for a Corolla. Are you living in an upside down world? I think so.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

A big difference with imports is they keep them in the home markets for several years before exporting them to us. The locals suffer with the new build bugs. The Honda Fit is just coming to Canada, that's 4+ years after it was available in Japan.

I've suffered a few times with new mechanical design on NA cars. Thanks to the internet info, which now makes it easy for me to avoid significant new mechanical design for at least two years.

Reply to
Spam Hater

NEVER BUY A FORD...THEY ARE ALL RECALLED AND ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MILLIONS OF MOTORIST FATALITIES....FORD IS A SCAM

Reply to
slatt333

@#@

Your full of shit. Gm is the biggest scam artist going.

Ray

Reply to
Raynaud

Nice to see that the old Ford/GM rivalry has degenerated into a race to the bottom.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Stereo bankruptcy?

Reply to
Jim Higgins

If this keeps up, GMs sales may drop by the millions. Perhaps even all the way down to the level of Toyota or Honda sales numbers. I doubt GMs sales will ever go THAT low, since the largest current recall is from Toyota for several million cars that can lose steering control. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hey Mike, did you see the May sales report?

Here are the highlights

May 2006 Vehicle Sales (thousands)

cars trucks total GM 126.9 208.5 335.4 Ford 99.3 161.7 261.0 DC 52.0 139.2 191.3

Toyota 144.9 90.8 235.7 Honda 84.9 56.9 141.8

Analysis (and some more facts):

Mike likes to say how much GM outsells Honda and Toyota combined. Hey Mike, do the math; it wasn't true in May. Look how close Toyota is to Ford in total vehicles. If the May trends were to hold up, Toyota would outsell Ford in 2007. Toyota would outsell GM in 2008.

Now that won't happen because Toyota doesn't have the capacity... yet. And we can't be too serious about extrapolating from one month's sales, but it sure was an interesting month.

The number one CAR maker in May is Toyota. Honda is closing in on number three (Ford). Trucks are rapidly losing their attraction as gas prices soar. (cars sales up 6% in May, trucks down 7%.) Honda car sales were up 20%. Toyota +25% Ford +6% GM car sales were DOWN

16%.

A lot more of the trucks that are being sold are from Honda (+9%) and Toyota (+7%) rather than GM (-10%) and Ford (-7%).

GM total vehicle sales are down 8% YTD vs. 2005. Recall that those

2005 sales were so bad that GM ran the biggest fire sale in history. No doubt that major sell-off (and the prospect of another one) is depressing GM and Ford sales now. In the short term GM will cut production. If that is not enough, another fire sale may be in order. In the long term, GM will have to contract their business or go out of business all together. That is when Toyota will pass them.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Re-read the post. There is not doubt GM and Ford are loosing share of the growing market, but they still are outselling any import brand.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Why does anyone here waste their time talking about General Motors, Ford or the fact that when you buy a Mercedes now you get a Chrysler trasmission and/or engine? This is HONDA! Talk about HONDA. They make world class vehicles that are heads above GM, Ford & DC. These 3 do not sell squat outside of the US and the only thing that keeps them afloat are fleet sales for pickups and SUVS that have 1950s technology. Let's keep the discussion to HONDA here. If you want talk about GM, go to GM's newsgroups. There, you can discuss the Hummer and all their other 1950s pickups and SUVS.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

Maybe you should not cross post to a GM group if you don't want to read about GM's.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, GM & Ford overseas operations are quite profitable. It's the domestic scene where they suck...

JT

(Who hates GM and doesn't have a lot of affection for Ford either...)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Re-red the reply dingbat. No disagreement that GM and Ford currently outsell any import brand. But Ford and GM are not just losing share, they are losing sales fast. And just to specifically highlight those vehicle sales results:

May YTD Ford 260,985 - 2% 1,199,566 - 3% Toyota 235,708 + 17% 1,000,524 +9%

Ford still outsells Toyota, but not by much. If the current trend were to hold for a couple years, Toyota would be outselling Ford.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I guess your figures are for US only

Toyota is number two in the world and closing in on GM fast

GM is decreasing world wide and question is what will make Toyota number one faster Toyotas increasing production and sales or GMs losing ground

Toyota will not increase faster than they can do the whole marketing chain properly

Toyota is not only about producing more and then try to sell

That is a major comp> >

Reply to
Gosi

That is correct. Thanks for clarifying.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Has the situation improved or got worse in one year?

Gosi

Just wait until the Chinese makers swarm in and start taking share from the rental fleet sales :(.

John

Reply to
John Horner

That is going to piss of Honda and Toyota, who are trying hard to break into the corporate fleet and the rental fleet markets. Honda and Toyota have had near zero penetration with the corporate fleets, but some success in with the rental fleets. Honda and Toyota can not beat the Korean cars penetration of the corporate fleet and rental fleet markets now. One can only wonder what will happen when the Chinese become their competitor. ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Even without the Chinese, the Wall Street Journal reported that SUVs are renting for less than cars because renters don't want to pay for the gas. That means that the rental companies will be buying fewer and smaller SUVs and more fuel efficient cars. With GM and Ford vowing to reduce fleet sales (really discounts on fleet sales), look for other manufacturers to jump in. Mitsubishi and Nissan might be well positioned for this.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Honda and Toyota are capacity constrained. That is why Honda just announced that they are building another US factory. Since they can't keep up with the highly profitable retail demand, why would they want to underbid GM, Ford and the Koreans for the bottom feeding fleet market?

GM and Ford need the fleet sales to keep their volumes up. Otherwise, the fixed costs kill them. GM vows to limit their fleet sales this year. Since their retail sales are in the toilet, they will either have to relent or seriously reduce production. Maybe both.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew