Re: GLOBAL WARMING: Gore & Other Nervous Nellies Got Ya Scared? RELAX!

Page 3 of 4

A 20% chance is a 20% chance. Was 80% of the forecast area dry? If so, I say it was dead on. If it said a 0% chance then I would agree with you.
Eric
You are kidding, right? Do you actually believe '20% chance of widely scattered showers in the evening.' equates to 3.8 inches of rain in five hours in the morning and the afternoon? 20% chance of widely scattered showers in the evening mean there is a 20% change there will be scattered showers in the evening. LOL
mike hunt

Sorry, didn't see the "evening" part there. You've got to admit though that over the last 25 years the forecasting has gotten much better than it was then.
If we are to go by old weather records, try this. Watch a weather report the shows the highs and lows for the day. Keep a note of the highs for two week in summer. I defy you to find more than two days out of those two weeks where the current high sets a record for that day in history. If the earth is indeed warming should we not be setting new daily records, yet you will not see more than three in two months? LOL
mike hunt

Setting records has nothing to do with averages. It is possible to have warming trends for years and never break a record.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Possible, but extremely unlikely.
Matt
wrote in message

If you looking at things seasonally, it would be much less likely to break a record in the warmer months. And much more likely to do it in the colder months. There were WEEKS in a row last winter where records were broken all over the United States.
Eric
Gee I believe you are onto something. When I was a kid, 75 years ago, we had snow on the ground that came up to my butt. Today it seldom get over my knees. LOL
mike
wrote in message

LOL, not sure where YOU live, but where I am we've had the biggest snow storms in the last 100 years all in the last 10. At the same time our average Winter temperatures have been above normal.

When I was a kid, the ponds fuse to freeze over (thick enough to walk on) 1-2 times per winter. I haven't seen a frozen pond in 20 years. But I seriously doubt that change is man-made. The earth can belch and change the weather more in 1 year than man can change it in 100 years.
--
Bob

It is? How prey tell? LOL
mike
wrote in message

I'm sure you are kidding as any educated person will realize the truth. In case someone think breaking records is a must take a week of summer temperatures such as :
85 85 85 105 88 90 87 Note that the 105 is a record high for July
The next year, the same week the temperatures are: 90 90 93 90 89 94 92
No record broken, but much more heat.

Thanks, Edwin. Couldn't have typed it better myself.
Eric
Much more heat than when last year, ten years ago? The early thirties, in the midst of the depression, the summer was much warm than any summer in the past ten years. Was burning coal the problem then? Why did it get colder?
mike, hunt

Mike, take a deep breath and read the thread again. You're not grasping the obvious here.
In the depression, when it was hot in the USA, it was colder somewhere else, making the average stay relatively stable. Now the average is moving up.
Eric
You forgot to say in the opinion of some people. Because according to some others it is getting colder today in Antarctica as well ;)
mike

No, actually I didn't forget to say that. I really don't think it is opinion any more. I'll concede that there are still a precious few people still holding out, but each year brings more converts.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I'm glad you said convert, because global warming is more religion than science and thus this is the appropriate term. :-)
Matt
Ya right LOL
mike hunt

Not going to scan this whole thread BUT I'm have to assume that _someone_ will point out to all of you that you people are using local _weather_ stats in a discussion about GLOBAL CLIMATE CHANGES...............
Apples and Abrams battle tanks...............