Re: GM engine history (was Re: GM's best engine)

I have a question. The Ecotec engines are of interference design? I would like to know because my car (a "chevrolet" astra) has the 1.8 ecotec (code Z
18 XE) engine and is good to know before something happens.
Thanks Elias Rocha
wrote

"Elias Rocha" wrote

I'm not sure what car or engine you are referring to here? It sounds as though your engine has a belt driven cam. That is not the case with the 2.2 EcoTec engines. In any case, other then the v-6 belt driven engine in the Cadillac Catera's, there are "no" GM belt driven engines that are interference.
In the case of the chain driven engines, yes, most of them are interference engines, but the failure rate of cam chains is so low that it's not worth worrying about.
Ian
The car is a Opel Astra but is sold in Mexico as a Chevrolet, The two engines must be related so I hope the engine is not of interference, I dont know but believe that the engine is belt driven.
The 2.2 Ecotec of the Astra is the same of the Cavalier only, in the Astra makes 145Hp and the 1.8 makes 125Hp. the engine codes (Opel) are: for the 2.2 -Z 22 SE- and the 1.8 -Z 18 XE-, if I can find more info Ill post it
This are the specifications for both engines in the Astra manual
http://www.avantel.net/~eliasrd/specs.jpg
Elias Rocha

"Elias Rocha" wrote

The Ecotec engine in the Cavalier is not belt driven. GM does not use belt driven engines anymore, except the dumbass Opel engine in the Cadillac Catera/CTS and that will be gone soon. Oh yeah, we will be getting a new Sprint type car soon....(Daewoo, I think) and it will no doubt have belt driven engines....but that's about it.
Ian