Re: GM is pursuing a two tier wage system

on Friday 14 September 2007 04:40 am, someone posing as Tim took a rock and etched into the cave:

Is this news?
Even as a government worker, the new peeps get brought in at a lower rate than the old timers.
For example, my former boss retired earlier this year. She had a different retirement package, compensation system, and medical benefits than I have.
Also, we have steps for a given position. Most positions have five salary steps. The newbies start on step one, while those who have been here awhile are on step five.
--
www.perfectreign.com

Electricians as with all building trades start at a lower pay level. Its call apprentice. They get increase every 6 months. When schooling, and required on the job training they become a Journeyman and get full scale. It has always been FULL scale for everyone. This I agree with.
HOWEVER now comes along this reduced rate for light construction with reduces benefits. Same profits for the contractors but less in the working mans pocket.

That's the way it goes. Wages should reflect ability and contribution. A new journeyman should not be worth what an experienced journeyman is worth. When "the working man" does not like the difference in the contractor's profits and his wages, he does have a choice...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

That is one of the best features of a union. Slackers and experienced conscience workers get the same wage. Time on the job is more imortant than ability.

How so? You are making assumptions that the contractor is able to charge the same amount for the job. There are times the contractor must take less in order to keep working. Competition is tough, especially in slow times. There are times that the contractor will take less, yet still pay his workers the same. Do you have evidence of the contrary?
What I love about America is we have choices. If I don't like the scale a contractor is paying, I can go to another one that pays more, I can become a rocket scientist or a greeter at Wal Mart.
How do I know. I have been on both sides of the fence. I was a contractor for 9 years and worked in the field for over 35.

Wrong union scale is the scale for all contractors in the area. Go to anyone and they must pay the same.

True, but there are non-union shops that can pay what they want to pay. Some pay what you are really worth.
In my last 20 years of working in the trade I have been paid well over union scale. For scale is a minimum the contractors must pay. If you earn it they will pay it, and maybe throw in a truck to drive. Now I take my three union pension checks to the bank every month. Glad to say I am and always will be a union man.

on Friday 14 September 2007 12:06 pm, someone posing as Tim took a rock and etched into the cave:

Aren't you folks getting screwed, too, by the contractors hiring illegals? I've heard Spanish is becoming the dominant language at jobsites.
Of course, I also drive a Mexican truck.
--
www.perfectreign.com