Re: GM's best engine: 3.4 or 3.8 ?

How long has the 3400 engine been around for.... Is it the same as the 2.8 and 3.1, just larger or a different design ??

I was quoted once with GM's engine that was (one of it's) most reliable, >best choice overall ( considering reliability, power, gas mileage, etc) I >can't recall if it was the 3.4 or 3.8 engine, (or maybe even the 3.1) ? >Any toughts? > >Daniel >
Reply to
A thought

Dan

The 1991 3800 was a very good engine.

The newer ones are just as reliable but have intake manifold & intake gaskets problems as you may be aware of. Scroll through this newsgroup & alt.autos.pontiac and you'll hear all about the engines your inquiring about.

Much of the late 90's 3800's problem was due to a plastic Intake manifold ( also called a Plenum ) and bad gaskets. With 200 HP and 225 Torque there pretty good runners. The supercharged 3800 has 240 HP and

280 Torque but requires premium fuel. Having the supercharger eliminates the plastic Intake on top of the engine.

Good Luck.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~263,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face