Re: GM's best engine: 3.4 or 3.8 ? -- it is the 4.3 Vortec

The all aluminum V-8 was the one Buick/GM sold to British Leyland for the Rover, if I remember correctly. Any thoughts on the old "nailhead" Buick engines?

What is missing is the 225 V6 introduced in 1964. This is the predicessor to > the 3.8L V6. If you work out the math the 3.8 L V6 was not to the Buick 350 > (5.7L), but the 225 was 2 less cyl than to the 300 engine. The 225 was an > all cast iron engine. It was the 300 engine minus 2 cylinders. This was a > very good engine from the start. They were compared to the Chevy 283 for > long lasting. It was also used in the Willys Jeeps. The 300 engine used > alumium heads, and it came in model with 11:1 compression. The 225 V6 was > the V6 that was used until around 67. The 198 all aluminum Engine just saw > 2/3years. > > -- > Regards, > > Eric McClatchie ( snipped-for-privacy@mcclatchies.com) > > westin* snipped-for-privacy@graphics.cornell.edu (Stephen H. Westin) wrote: > > > > > > > >Kinda like the 3.8 being a Buick 350 with two cylinders missing and > > >several decades of development. > > > > > > > > > > Actually, it is the other way around. The 3.8 V-6 was a derivation of > > the 215 CID aluminum V-8 that Buick and Olds used in the F-85 and the > > Special from '61-63. In it's ogiginal configuration it was odd-fire > > and 198 CID (3.3L). > > > > The tooling and design of the aluminum V-8 was sold to the Brits and > > used by Rover until just recently (highly modified, of course). > > > > In 1964 when GM went to the larger "A" body Buick developed the > > 300/330 V-8 - iron block and heads, basically the V-6 with 2 cylinders > > added back in. That engine was used through the 1967 model year when > > Buick developed the last series of V-8s they would do: the 350 / > > 430-455 family. A lot of changes where made (like stud rocker pivots > > instead of the aluminum rockers on a steel shaft used in the 300/330 - > > I HATED those damn things, but did make a bunch of money over the > > years rebuilding the valve train in those engines). > > > > GM used the V-6 in some cars through 1966 but converted to using the > > Chevy inline 6 in the "A" body cars (rumor was they did not want to > > spend the $$ to work on emissions compliance for both the Chevy I-6 > > and the Buick V-6, and since the Chevy engine was cheaper to build and > > also used in more lines than the Buick, the Buick V-6 lost out). After > > sitting on the shelf for a couple of years, GM sold the design / > > tooling of the V-6 to Kaiser-Jeep, which American Motors bought in > > 1970. The engine was used in a lot of Jeeps in the 70s, but GM needed > > a V-6 for the Monza / Shyhawk / Omega in the mid-70s (engine > > compartment would not take an inline 6 and the Vega-based 4 was too > > wimpy and being phased out for the Pontiac "Iron Duke" 4) so they > > bought the V-6 back from AMC. Most of you know the rest of the story > > - engine converted to even-fire, etc. > > > > Of the first-generation 3.8s, the best of the bunch (in my humble > > opinion) is the FWD 1986-1987 "C" motor: fuel injection, DIS ignition > > and roller lifters. GM used that engine in mostly "C", "H" and "E" > > body cars (except Cadillac). As time has gone on the engine has been > > "improved" but has gone backwards in some ways, witness the intake > > manifold problems in recent years. > > > > But if someone had to pin me down to the best of the CURRENT GM V-6s, > > I's still take a 3.8 over anything else GM makes in a V-6 (and my > > LEAST favorite would be a tie between the 3.4 and the 3.5 > > "ShortStar"). > > > > Regards, > > Bill Bowen > > Sacramento, CA > >
Reply to
Bill Freeman