Re: GM's Dick Wagonwheel dont wanna rub butts in bed with french

Page 2 of 10
The Ridgeline can hardly be called a 'truck,' it is based on a FWD car chassis.

Please stop top posting. It makes it very hard to follow the thread. I guess you are saying that what you have to say is not important. I agree.
Jeff
(...)
Does the number of > marks have any meaning for you? If you have trouble reading my posts, don't read them WBMA ;)
mike hunt

Jeff wrote:

Its a front wheel drive truck, do we need to say more
I'll try to remember that next time, OK?
mike

Mike Hunter wrote:

Toyota and Ford each have approximately 11% of the world's market share. GM does not have 66% or even 33% of it.
What percentage of the auto industry's profits does GM have for the past 1 year, 5 years, or 10 years?
In article <1153109065.360372.243340
snipped-for-privacy@mail.com says...

Mike seems to subscribe to the JD Power stats method---"We'll only focus on this small single area of superiority, and harp on it!"
I see, you want us to believe that if your brand does well in a survey it is a reliable survey, if your brand is outscored by other brands then it is NOT a reliable survey, right? LOL
mike hunt
says...

Jeff wrote:

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8IKUE601.htm?sub=apn_news_down&chan
How do the number of car models available or the number sold have any bearing on the quality?

Presumably, the quality of a car model, the more of that model people would buy. They would hear from their neighbors, friends, coworkers, the press, etc., how good a model is, and when they are in the market for a car, they would be more likely to buy the one with good quality reports. In addition, when a model has bad quality reports, they would be less likely to buy one with bad quality reports. A similar thing would happen to makes with good reputations or bad reputations.
Of course, other things influence what model people buy, like how much they like local dealers, price, the price of gas and what cars their daddies bought over the years (some people just buy Ford F150s every five years and have been happy doing that).
Jeff
Apparently buyers think so. GM and Ford sell more of their vehicles than any import.
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

But if Americans chose cars solely on quality, they'd buy more Toyotas than GMs.

Don't GM and Ford also sell imports? My Escort came from Hermosillo.

Why? Has it been proven that the quality of Toyotas are better than the quality of GMs? How about the cost of ownership? All I have seen here are some opinions (and some good ones, like mine ;-) ), but no real evidence that one brand has higher quality than others. I do recall that the Yugo was not that good in quality, but not much that modern day Fords and GMs and bad quality.

Of course GM and Ford sell more of their vehicles than any import? Why would an import car maker sell Fords and GMs? Mazda sells the Ford Escape as a Mazda Tribute and the Ford Ranger as a B210.
But there are very few import brands that sell GM and Ford vehicles.
Jeff
Jeff
Yes they do, around 18% of the vehicles sold in the US by Ford are made in Canada and Mexico. Around 20% for GM. Toyota on the other hand nearly 80% of theirs are imported, not counting the ones from the GM/Toyota plant in California. Most of the parts, for the vehicles Toyota assembles in the US, are imported.. Even their current advertisement now say, made in the US of world sourced parts because of Honda compliant to the FTC.. mike hunt

You are free to continue to believe whatever you wish. The fact remains, except for the Toyotas made in the GM/Toyota California plant that display a '1' the Toyotas with a '4' and a '5' are only assembled in the US of mostly imported parts, just as Toyotas says in the advertisements. ;)
mike hunt

I do not do home work for my own grand children, what make you believe I would do yours? ;)
mike hunt

I have not intention of wasting more time with you. I have already explained to you why the Ford and the Mazda have a '1' and a '4' because of American total contend but you choose not to want to understand the difference. You keep referring the north American parts label. That has nothing to do with the Commerce Departments content requirements for designation the first digit of the VIN. Total American content includes ALL that goes into a vehicle, R&D, engineering, raw materials glass, steel plastics. point of assembly etc. Simply assembling parts and vehicles, with components and materials from other counties, in NA to meet that NAP requirement does not quality when it comes to the VIN, only the NAP label.
You are free to believe what you want, but if what you believe to be true were actually true, Toyota would not be advertising 'Assembled in America of world sourced parts' and their vehicles with the '4' and '5' VIN designations would have a '1' as do the Toyotas made in the GM/Toyota plant in California. The UAW contract in that plant requires all vehicle built in that pant to be at least 70% American 'content' regardless of the NAP label
mike hunt