Re: GM's Dick Wagonwheel dont wanna rub butts in bed with french

Page 9 of 10

Really?
The first number indicates the country of origin:
http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/vin.html
Jeff
That is true, but did it ever occur to you why all other counties have only one number designated and the US has THREE? ;)
mike hunt

Toyota is approaching 80% with some models. GM is near 80% and dropping.
The parts that fail on my Chrysler are usually imported.

Toyota Sienna is about 90% American.
Jeff

Not so. The Sienna has a '4' as the first number of the VIN and therefore has less than 70%, but more than 40% American content.

The first digit of the VIN means that the vehicle was made in America. It does NOT indicate content. If I am incorrect, prove it.
http://ntl.bts.gov/faq/vin.html http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/5/article_id_int/1969
You are correct, a '4' indicates it is made in the US, of less than 70%, but more than 40% American content. A '1' means more than 70% American content. A '5' means less than 40% American content. Why do you think the US has THREE different digits to designate made in the US and not one like the '2' that indicates Canada or the '3' that indexes Mexico?
mike hunt

http://www.autoweb.com/content/shared/articles/templates/index.cfm/article_page_order_int/5/article_id_int/1969

Perhaps you missed the part that asked, 'Why do you think the US has THREE different digits to designate made in the US and not one like the '2' that indicates Canada or the '3' that indexes Mexico?' Your repeating the same thing doesn't make what you believe to be true, actually true, now does it? North American parts labeling is far differ than the FTC regulation of American content other than the source of parts. Use some logic here. Why in the world would a Camry, made entirely in Japan which has a 'J' as the first digit, display a parts label that indicates it has ANY percentage of north American parts, when it obviously does not?
mike hunt
.

No so. The reason the reason the Tribe has a '4' is the same reason the Lincoln LT has a '4' rather than the '1' that is assigned to the F150 on which it is based. Although made on the same assembly line as the F150, more of the parts like the interior an some of the other parts, are designed and built in Canada and thus the US content drops to below 70% but not below 40%. By the way the F2 on the Mazda truck indicates assembled in a Ford plant, not a Mazda plant, which would make it a 'Z' designation Much like the 1ZVF designation for the Mustang, which is now made in the Mazda/Ford assembly plant in Flat Rock Michigan rather than the Ford Rouge plant.
mike hunt

<snip> Note: The VIN for the Ford Escape begins 1FM, but for the Mazda Tribute, it

You forgot to say, in my opinion. What manufacture has the largest number recalls so far this model year, including several hundred thousands worldwide for defective engines? Hint; The company name begins with a 'T' ;)
mike hunt

You are confused. A Toyota with a '4,' as first number of the VIN, as does the American assembled Camry, has less than 70% but more than 40% American content .. A Toyota with a '5,' as the first number of the VIN, as does the American assembled Tundra, has less than 40% American content .. The Honda Accord on the other hand has a '1' as the first number of the VIN and thus more than 70% American content Toyota is now saying. 'Assembled in the US of world sourced parts,' because Honda complaint to the FTC about Toyota deceptive advertising practice Do a bit of research,WBMA.
mike hunt

Really, if what you believe to be true, was actually true, why then does the Accord NOT have a '4' instead of a '1?' ;)
mike hunt

And you have a GM union that probally isn't going to get what it bargained for, which was too much 20 years ago. Unions have their good and bad sides, not being in a union, I see mostly bad.
They sure waste enough time, and run the real workers out of work around where I am.
Mike Hunter wrote:

GM has Corvette. Therefore I think GM should live, if only at about the fraction of its current size. Maybe Cadissan minus UAW could make them at the price of Nissalac 350Z ?
Toyolet, on the other hand, does not offer any decent cars anymore and yet they thrive due to no shortage of morons willing to bring them the money. I'm sure Lotus can use 1.8 honda engines just fine instead of those from Toyota should the latter demise (I sure hope they burn in hell for axing the Celica).
Body Roll wrote:

Corvette? How many of those do they sell a year, 50k? hahaa