Re: GM Tanks run empty without warning

I wonder if other GM vehicles are affected as well? The fuel gauge first acted up on my '99 Regal at 6,648 miles. The gauge would stay between 3/4 and FULL until the level dropped down to a few gallons, then the gauge would regain accuracy. The sender/pump assembly was replaced. This happened two more times before the warranty ended at 36,000 miles. The last fix has worked until this week at 66,000 miles and now it's gone again. I'm going to call the dealer that serviced it last and see if they can work with me in any way since it's been a repeat failure since I bought the vehicle.

UPDATE: Just called the dealer, but they no longer are affiliated with GM. They gave me the next closer dealer where they send their customers. I called and explained the situation. "Doyle" was very courteous and suggested I bring the car to him so he can verify the sender is the problem. He claims he will call GM and feels pretty confident they can take care of it given the circumstances. We'll see how that turns out. I would hate to have to pay for a part that failed on three seperate occasions while still under warranty. After 3 or 4 sending units, I'm determined that this car has a voodoo curse or the actual problem was never solved. Funny how it always works for a good while after the sending unit is replaced then fails again. The car has never had anything but Exxon gas from local clean, modern gas stations. (relative works for Exxon, so kinda biased)

Good luck to me, Roger

GM, for their part, says that sulfur content in the gasoline is what's > responsible for fouling up the gauge senders. Apparently this affects > 2000-01 Cavalier, Malibu, Alero, Sunfire and Grand Am vehicles. > > -- > Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada > To email, remove "nospam" from snipped-for-privacy@nospamshaw.ca > Home Page:
> > > Petro-Canada blames `faulty' GM fuel gauges > > > > See > > >

> cle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251825673&call_pageid=970599119419>

Reply to
zroger73

> > cle_Type1&c=Article&cid=1052251825673&call_pageid=970599119419> >

Reply to
XXXXX

an admission from Shell. Just after the warranty ended, my 94 Yukon ran out when the gauge still read 1/4. The gauge reads hard over the top when the tank's full, only dropping after about 200km. I refill every 500km or so instead of relying on the gas gauge. It only reads true after a good cold night (-30C), but is soon back up to false positive. It isn't worth fixing.

XXXXX wrote:

Reply to
Gruntyfs

Frankly if GM is using shitty parts and the fuel companies are causing the gauge to fail, then they should pick up the repair cost irrespective of year and mileage.

I have seen other brand cars with 10 years and 300,000 miles and no problem and GM cars have issues after 1 to 2 years after the install of a new gauge.

XXXXX

Yes, that is the symptom of how things began in my 2001 Malibu.

Reply to
Carlos Coimbra