Re: GM V6 engine warning - true sad story (long)

Page 1 of 2

http://www.gm-v6lemons.com/mediaattn.htm "Edmonston also says that intake gasket failures are a chronic problem with General Motors 3.1L, 3.4L, and 3.8L V6 engines produced from roughly 1995 through 2001, as well as the V8 used in SUVs and trucks."
I have a 97 Buick Custom LeSabre (purchased 3 months ago), should I be concerned ?? Is this gasket visible ??
[...]
Allan: If you have the 3.4L V6 engine in your LeSabre, you should be concerned. If you have the 3.8L V6, you should have received a recall letter. I do not know of other GM engines that have as much problem with the intake gasket as the 3.1L and 3.4L engines. But I'm no expert on this. You should do a search on the web if you have a V8. No, the lower intake gasket is not visible. That is why it costs so much to replace.

GM
self-destruct
"DL" wrote

this.
I would be concerned if my Lesabre had a 3.4 v-6 engine in it too, as I don't believe the Lesabre in that year had anything in it but the 3.8.
What do you mean by "the lower intake gasket is not visible"? You can easily see the gasket in the area where the leak occurs. That's one of easy ways to diagnose the leak, look at the gasket and see if it's tracking dex-cool.
Ian
Where do you live ? may be you can do my car too.

be
recall
problem
on
Very sad story indeed. I can't believe that GM isn't offering some goodwill help with this!! Especially since the problem you are having seems to be a unusually pervasive one. I wish you the best of luck.
for any questions or | comments (remove abc from name for real email address) | |
So you didn't check your coolant for 40,000 miles?
And usually, when the vehicle is low on coolant, the temp sensor wont give a reading. Something you notice when you look at your gauges.
A majority of cars do have slow coolant leaks. It does very from car to car. And some cars have a perfect tight system. So thats a reason you should check it atleast once a week to a month.
And im not sure how far you can get with GM. Because you are out of warranty, and the bulletin isn't really considered a recall.
If i was you. I would look in the papers for an engine. I prob can find one from 200-500 bucks. Ebay sometimes has collision shops selling them. Get a mechanic to install it for less then a 1000.
phil w wrote:

That's a bad idea. If you block payment to the shop, they'll just slap a mechanic's lien on the car and take it. They can then either auction it, or more likely just sell it for what they've got in it dollar wise, which would likely be a lot less than it's worth.
JazzMan
--
***************************************
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

with

pay

maybe in their street cars, but not in Formula 1.
"Brad Clarke" wrote

Not at the moment, but they dominated Formula One a few years back. It could happen again fairly quickly.
Ian
Rich wrote:

IF Honda knows how, then why don't they build one? Anything you have to rev to 7500 RPM in daily driving doesn't qualify as a "decent engine."

do you really believe this?
GM agrees with you. They put Honda V-6's in the Saturn SUV.
--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."
"GRL" wrote

They did? What year was that?
Ian
shiden_Kai wrote:

Maybe he was thinking of the Isuzu with the GM 2.8?
JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.

Nope, it's a Honda V6 in the 2004 Vue
The 2004 Saturn Vue now has a Honda V-6 engine, if you buy the 6 cylinder option. And the 4 cylinder engine is the GM corp. 2.2 engine. No more Saturn engines for now.
Honda is said to be getting Isuzu diesel engines out of the deal.

Are these the same engines
As for the whole who leaks/burns oil issue. I've got a '95 Integra GS-R which uses a fair bit of oil at 130K miles. Not blue smoke, and not a drop on the ground. My dad's '96 Buick Regal uses a lot of oil and leaves a lot. I've done all the changes for him, and I always notice a crusty mess of caked on dirt/oil around the oil pan when I change the oil.

Whoops - forgot my original question.
Is this the V6 that turns the way that most engines do? I seem to recall that Honda makes engines that rotate in the opposite direction compared to the vast majority of engines out there. I heard they developed one to be compatible, and that they could sell outside of Honda.