Re: In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction

If I recall correctly quite a few with the gas heaters used that system for the heaters. But I wouldn't doubt but that there's regional differences & my memory may be cloudy as virtually all original beetle's in this area have returned to mother nature many many years ago.

Reply to
Full_Name

The gas heaters were mounted above the fuel tank and had their own electric fuel pump. H

Reply to
Hairy

Not true. For example, the Chrysler LH vehicles have an access panel in the trunk floor that allows the fuel pump module to be pulled out the top of the tank. Niether draining the tank nor removing the tank is required. However, the intelligence not to do something idiotic like use an open-bulb drop light, smoke, or strike a match while working on it is required. Something that seems beyond the capability of entirely too many people these days....

And yes, most PICKUP TRUCKS with electric in-tank pumps do require dropping the tank or removing the bed from the chassis... however this article doesn't say whether it was an in-tank pump or a 1965 pickup with a conventional fuel pump. If you are stupid in replacing an old-style fuel pump, you can wind up with a garage full of fuel just as easily as you can if you're stupid with an in-tank pump. The key word is STUPID...

Reply to
Steve

Not only that, but in all modern cars with the epa-mandated evap collection system, if there is a leak detected by a loss in tank pressure, an idiot lamp will come on in the dash, letting you know that something is wrong. Same is true if you drive away from the gas station without putting your gas cap on tight... after about 35 miles or so, the ECM will see that as a leak in the system, and an SES lamp will come on.

And you DO get your car checked out when you have an indication that something is wrong... right?

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Well, nearly every occurrence of an airbag deployment that I've heard of is unintended... most people, unless they intend to commit suicide or ditch a car and fraudulently claim insurance, do not intend to crash and trigger the airbags. :)

However, there have been a couple of *unwarranted* airbag deployments that I've heard of.

Reply to
Isaiah Beard

Guess the two that I'd seen on had identical aftermarket units put on then. Luckily I've not "had the pleasure" of working on an old Beetle in over 15 years. :-)

Reply to
Full_Name

I try to keep gas in my fuel tank, mainly to avoid the inconvenience of running out of gas. I guess I get the added benefit of not having my fuel pump explode. It actually works out not too bad.

Reply to
Bill 2

No, all gas heaters were mounted above the fuel tanks and had their own small electric fuel pu to spray the fuel into the fire-box. Basically a low presure fuel injector.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Jes make sure you've *always* got them hands at 9 and 3 o'clock in case it does go off. 8^)

Bill Putney

Don't forget Corvairs had gas heaters also.

Reply to
Mark

It also increases the longetivity of your pump as the gas is it's cooling system. H

Reply to
Hairy

No..... The two that I had experience with had no electrical fuel pump. Which is why I mentioned them.

Reply to
Full_Name

My '64 Corvair that I had, the fuel line had a tee in it so the engine fuel pump supplied both the heater and the engine.

Reply to
Mark

Where were the heaters mounted? H

Reply to
Hairy

this also means you should keep your tank level from getting too low. Otherwise you can shorten the life of your pump.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

About 6" above and rear of the pedals. Personally thought it was a stupid design, but then again the Beetles were never the greatest for heat I'd heard.

Reply to
Full_Name

You left out "also now a self-aggrandizing, obnoxious twit."

Plonk!

Reply to
MisterSkippy

Another urban legend.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Not totally. Running the pump VERY low on fuel reduces cooling and lubrication and CAN hasten the pump's demise.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I'm not sure what you saw, but that wasn't a gas heater. Gas heaters were mounted inside and parallel to the left front quarter panel, under the front deck lid. They were/are roughly the shape and size of an old Electolux cannister vacuum.

Personally thought it was a

Actually the heaters were ok but the defrosters were horrible. Add a gas heater and you could almost cook a roast in one.:-) Btw, I still have two, a '62 sunroof and a '69 vert. H

Reply to
Hairy