Re: Is it Intake Manifold Gasket problem? No coolant in oil

> I don't see any evidence that there was coolant in the oil (and none in the > oil changes I have done this year). But I have notice that the coolant > reservoir is on empty. I was to the full mark a year ago. I it possible > the dexcool just started to eat away at the intake manifold gasket, just > enough to create an air leak (to create a lean condition)? btw: the > anti freeze look and smells terrible, it looks like it has chunks of > something in it. I read on the net that dexcool is very corrosive and > eventually will eat away at the rad and other parts. > > Also, some web sites say it's the coolant that is the root problem , because > it corrodes everything, while other web sites claim it is a poorly designed > gasket. > -------------- > previoius post > > I posted before, but now I found some info re intake manifold gasket > problem especially in venture and montana's. Could this be the > saurce of my problems? > There is a law suite in the work. > > I asked the mechanic again what exactly did the scanner read. He > said the left bank reading was lean on my venture van 2000. He also > mentioned that cylinder 6 is miss firing (I assume that the left bank is > cylinder > 2,4, and 6). I replaced the 6th cylinder spark plug which was really > worn > (I should replace 2nd cylinder spark plug it was also worn, 4th was ok). > And at first it seamed that starting the van was a lot easier. But > next day engine light was back on and it takes about 5 tries before the > ignition starts. Durring a hot day starts fine, but the engin still > sounds > like it is miss firing. On occasion there is a strong spell of gasoline > towards the back of the van, but most of the time I don't smell any thing. > > Question can ignition problems have anything to with this lean > reading. Can it be related to the miss firing problem? If so, If so > difficulty starting especially in the mornings, does that give you a clue > if it > could have something to do with a bad sensor as opposed to miss firing > problem? I would like to address the mostly likely problem first or the > easiest > solution first. Also, if you think it is the sensor's fault, > which one would I have to replace? > > btw: I year ago I had sugar in the gas tank, so I had the tank > replaced. And added some fuel injection cleaner in the gasoline. Then had > no > engine light go on for 4 months. Then engine light disappeared again. > And now that it is warm again, engine light is on again. > > lbbs

if your coolant level was full last year and now it is empty???? how as it a month after last year??? how often do you check it??? you should check it each time you gas up and add what it needed.... you dont have a leak.. the stuff is just evaporating... and if it was last year, you should flush it out and put some good old Prestone in it and dont worry about it....

Reply to
jim

CONTINUATION: I asked the mechanic again what exactly did the scanner read. He said the left bank reading was lean. He also mentioned that cylinder 6 is miss firing (I assume that the left bank is cylinder 2,4, and 6). I replaced the 6th cylinder spark plug. And at first it seamed that starting the van was a lot easier. But next day engine light was back on and it takes about 5 tries before the ignition starts. Question can ignition problems have anything to with this lean reading. Can it be related to the miss firing problem? If so, If so difficulty starting especially in the mornings, does that give you a clue if it could have something to do with a bad sensor as opposed to miss firing problem? I would like to address the mostly likely problem first or the easiest solution first.

btw: I year ago I had sugar in the gas tank, so I had the tank replaced. And added some fuel injection cleaner in the gasoline. I have had no engine light

Then cleared the

Reply to
lab

Turns out they found a coolant leak in the intake manifold gasket. it must have just started because I did not see any signs of coolant in the oil.

Reply to
lab

Your leak was probably leaking on the side of the engine and burning off before it dripped on the ground - quite a common occurance.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~259,100 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

That's what happened to my 1999 Montana for over 18 months before the first drop of coolant touched the ground. I had a very strong hunch that was the problem in lab's case too.

Reply to
Mike®