Re: Knock sensor? What does it do?

You don't need to drain the antifreeze if you plan it right. You will loose a little antifreeze. Just have the new sensor ready to screw in and pull the old one, hold a finger over the hole and then quickly insert the new one.... Make sure the radiator overflow tank has plenty of antifreeze in it and keep a check on it for a week.

I have a 91 GMC pickup with a 350 engine and auto tranny. I had my > mechanic do a checkup of the underside of the truck and he said the > knock sensor is broken (the wire terminal corroded off). I asked him > what it's for. He said it senses a knock in the engine and does > something to compensate. > > He knows I am on a limited income and said I can change it myself if I > want. He said I just need to drain the antifreeze because it screws > into an antifreeze coolant port. Unscrew it, replace it, put wire on. > > I agree this sounds pretty easy to do, but I cant understand how a > thing inserted into a coolant path can sense a knock in the engine? > > Can someone explain how this thing works. > > Thanks > > LM
Reply to
Woody