Re: Losing coolnat in a 4.3 l V6... I'm scared!

Whoa... I've been reading all the posts baout the smaller (3.1 to 3.8 l)

> Chevy V6's losing coolant and suddenly dying... Well, I have a 1996 1500K > pickup with the 4.3 V6 which also loses coolant. In fact, I've forgotten to > check it for a while... > > I haven't seen any posts about the 4.3 l engine. Is there anything to worry > about? Does anyone else have any horror stories with this engine failing? > I'm past warranty, but would gladly spend a few hundred $$ replacing gaskets > if it meant I'd save my engine. > > Thanks > >
Reply to
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Geoff Welsh

Reply to
Mike Levy

"Roger Seymour" wrote

You don't see as many posts about the 4.3 engines, but they have/always had the same intake problems as the v-8's. The later model 4.3's that are the Vortecs with the plastic upper plenum use the same style gasket as the Vortec v-8's. We do lot's of intake gaskets on both v-8's and v-6's. It's usually just a matter of time.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

hummmm, I have a 4.3 in my truck. Having a hard time starting it sometimes, , but as soon as it does...it runs like a champ. Maybe I got a little vacuum leak in the manifold gasket...

Reply to
eightupman

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hmmm... indeed. Just before my fuel pump failed, my 4.3 was taking somewhat longer to start up. I hadn't really paid much attention, but my son took the truck one day, came back and said "Hey, Dad, have you noticed......" It ran OK once going. Then, out of the blue, it just died at the side of the road with zero warning - not a hiccup... nothing. The mechanic who replaced the pump told me that the mechanical injectors need about 55 psi to work right. When he tested it, it was only giving about 30 psi. Anyway, $340 later I was on my way. Kinda stumped me since I could still hear the pump run when I turned the key. Thought at first I'd lost spark.

Reply to
Roger Seymour