Re: Losing coolnat in a 4.3 l V6... I'm scared!

I would look around the corners of the intake manifold gaskets, very common, also the water pump.

Your mixing up engines. The Chevy is the 3.1/3.4L derived from the 2.8. They are a 60 degree engine with a problem of coolant sometimes getting in the oil destroying the engine. The 3.8 L is a 90 degree engine as is the 4.3 although they are of different lineage. The common problem with the the 3.8 is an external leak. GW
Roger Seymour wrote:

I have a 94 4.3 that had a bad intake gasket. It seeped just a little bi at the front of the driver's side gasket. Just look at your oil, if it looks milky, you're losing coolant into the oil. Mine was external, looked like it was coming from the head/block interface so I was getting estimates for replacing the head gaskets. I lucked out. Found a mechanic that told me to get the parts and he'd do it for me in his back yard.

"Roger Seymour" wrote

You don't see as many posts about the 4.3 engines, but they have/always had the same intake problems as the v-8's. The later model 4.3's that are the Vortecs with the plastic upper plenum use the same style gasket as the Vortec v-8's. We do lot's of intake gaskets on both v-8's and v-6's. It's usually just a matter of time.
Ian
hummmm, I have a 4.3 in my truck. Having a hard time starting it sometimes, , but as soon as it does...it runs like a champ. Maybe I got a little vacuum leak in the manifold gasket...

What year/VIN code engine (See the 8th position in the VIN for VIN code). If W, you may have an injector/regulator/nut kit (dunno why GM calls fuel lines a nut kit) leak. I replaced the injector, which includes the FPR, and the nut kit on mine last year. Time consuming but not all that difficult of a task...
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 02:58:25 GMT, "eightupman"

Hmmm... indeed. Just before my fuel pump failed, my 4.3 was taking somewhat longer to start up. I hadn't really paid much attention, but my son took the truck one day, came back and said "Hey, Dad, have you noticed......" It ran OK once going. Then, out of the blue, it just died at the side of the road with zero warning - not a hiccup... nothing. The mechanic who replaced the pump told me that the mechanical injectors need about 55 psi to work right. When he tested it, it was only giving about 30 psi. Anyway, $340 later I was on my way. Kinda stumped me since I could still hear the pump run when I turned the key. Thought at first I'd lost spark.