Re: Manhours per car

I am intrigued by the fact companies will pay their non-exempt employees MORE, and give them better benefits, than their represented employees. Their exempt employees get paid even more than their non-exempt employees
and are given even better benefits, yet the company points to the cost of union employees LOL
wrote in message

They value brains over brawn?
I doubt that. Many of my highest paid union techs had associate or degrees in electronics and earned over 100K annually. My non-exempt shop foreman and exempt managers worked on salary/commission, based on the net shop outcome.
After my shops unionized I had smarter better paid employees that reduced come backs for me, as well as down time for our customers, that helped grow my business. Everybody benefited by making the shop more profitable. Those that did pull their share of the load were let go union, non-exempt and exempt alike. Being a union member could not prevent me from firing anybody who could not or would not do the job at which they were qualified
I had to buy out my partner because he thought the Union would ruin our business. He told me after I sold the business that grow from six shops in two eastern states to twenty six in six states that he really screwed up. Any body who says different does nto know what they are talking about.

You missed the point of my post. I said the auto manufactures talk about the 'cost' of a union employee but they VOLUNTARY give better benefits and pay to non-exempts. Obviously they do so to dissuade the non-exempts from joining a union. An exempt is likely to be worth more to an employer but do you really think a file clerk, or time keeper, is worth more to an employer than an assembler?
When the steel industry was going in the tank the first to lose their benefits and the first to be fired were the non-exempts, untill they too joined the Steelworkers union to protect their benefits. The non-exempts are joining the UAW for the same reasons.