Re: Mercedes-Benz hit with suit

SO MUCH verbiage without using the word SLUDGE. LOL. Those

> Mercedes drivers really slay me.

LOL...but then Toyota owners know all about sludge, don't they?

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Just the 3,000 or so negligents who had to learn the hard way. The remaining 99% don't know from nuthin' ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

Bit offtopic, innit? But does that mean you've bought the Pacifica...

;-) DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

Indeed Mobil 1 is recommended for my Merc (which has a 3.2 l engine) in Europe.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

In news:3fbde74f$0$7354$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com, Dori Schmetterling being of bellicose mind posted:

Check closely the ACEA designation. In the US, only the 0w-40 and

15w-50 Mobil1's meet the ACEA A3 service spec for service longer than 7,500 miles.
Reply to
Philip®

Why do all the "negligents" happen to be driving the same Toyota models?

Reply to
Tom Hamilton

Birds of a feather flock together. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

troll

Reply to
Eastward Bound

In news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com, Eastward Bound being of bellicose mind posted:

Block head.

Reply to
Philip®

::PLONK!::

troll

Reply to
Eastward Bound

*plonk*
Reply to
dizzy

*double plonk*
Reply to
Eastward Bound

There is one main reason for the diesels popularity in Europe - differential taxation. In the US diesel fuel now routinely sells for more than unleaded regular gasoline. How can anyone justify paying extra for a diesel vehicle if the fuel is more expensive? True the diesel will get better mileage, but in most cases this will be at the sacrafice of some performance.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

That may have been true once in a number of countries and may still influence some people's decisions (even though it is rarely worthwhile to pay the extra for a diesel engine unless you do a ery high mileage) but is no longer that significant.

How do you explain the steep rise of diesel sales in the UK where the fuel costs the same as or more than standard 95-octane (c. 90 in the US) petrol/gasoline?

The Merc S 320 CDI is the number-1-selling 'luxury executive' saloon in the UK. To people for whom the price of fuel is probably a secondary consideration.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

I suppose people in Europe aren't as bright as I thought.

Ed

Dori Schmetterl> That may have been true once in a number of countries and may still

Reply to
C. E. White

worthwhile to

That is exactly correct. It is the engine of choice irrespective.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Guess who isn't actually very bright? He's the one who speaks from a position of ignorance.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Spot on, Ed! Spot on!

Reply to
Philip®

You can hear some diesel clatter outside the car, but inside it's much quieter. Although my current cars are petrol I have been in recent diesels and they are remarkably quiet. In once case I could hardly believe it wasn't petrol. Different ballgame to my 1980 W123 200D.

I am not sure I am ready to jump to diesel with my next car (whenever that might be), but by then there might have been further noticeable progress. Personally I would not say diesel is the ideal answer for everyone, but it's become an increasingly interesting proposition not be swept aside because of old notions about diesel.

DAS

--

Reply to
Dori Schmetterling

In news:3fc4996e$0$11174$ snipped-for-privacy@news.dial.pipex.com, Dori Schmetterling being of bellicose mind posted:

The problem has always been and continues to be .... the fuel (diesel). Syrup in ... chunks out. Metro buses here in southern California (where I live) have been refitted with CNG gas and they are an amazing improvement in terms of exhaust stench and soot. California's CARB (California Air Resources Board) is intent on squeezing the notion of widespread diesel powered passenger cars out of existence. They'll do it too. Regarding diesel mechanical noise, NOBODY (the one or two exceptions notwithstanding) around here will put up with the external clatter if it eminates from a luxury sedan.

1ton pickup trucks.... whole different deal.
Reply to
Philip®