Re: Our customers don’t know this is going on, and they don’t care

They will probably see improved quality when the new workers hit the line interested in keeping the job and interested in doing a quality job. Far better than the old union employees more interested in how they can increase lazy time and no longer interested in the quality of the work they are doing. Don't forget it is those union employees that have been putting out the shoddy workmanship that has put GM in the low end of quality.

?Our customers don?t know this is going on, and they don?t care? >
> GM's executive director of manufacturing quality Joe Mazzeo speaks the > truth when he tells The Detroit News that GM's customers are oblivious to > the threat to vehicle quality posed by GM's employee changeover. But they > might care later, after GM replaces some 19k "top tier" union workers with > half-price subs, expecting them to hit the assembly line after two week's > training. "GM has been flooded with job seekers at many plants, but first > crack at the jobs goes to idled employees of GM and Delphi Corp., the > automaker's bankrupt former parts unit. The jobs then open up to > outsiders, whose only shot at landing one is to be referred by someone who > works at a factory." How reassuring. On the other hand, "GM is going to > exhaustive lengths to ensure the shift doesn't erase hard-won improvements > in factory efficiency and vehicle quality? [Workers] will be reminded that > well-made vehicles keep consumers buying, which in turn leads to job > security ? and vice versa. Many workers will get a job shadowing > assignment, and all of them will learn through simulated training done on > assembly lines with fake cars made of two-by-fours and plywood." As for > how many of those 19k union jobs are being axed and how many simply > "downsized," the DetN is clear: "The automaker won't say." Oh, and those > workers who are "transitioning" from one tier to the other get ten day's > training? the same amount of education Disney requires for its "cast > members." > > > GM preps for new hires after buyouts >

> -- > Civis Romanus Sum
Reply to
Woody

Woody, you are an idiot. Have you ever worked on the line at GM? How can you blame a line worker for GM designing bad gasket's (for example)? They only put together what some highly paid top brass guy designs.

80 Knight
80 Knight, you almost have it right. The design was probably developed at a lower echelon and would have worked fine. Then upper management/bean counters said do it cheaper.

80 Knight wrote:

Reply to
why, me

If GM wants to survive they have to redesign their operations form top to bottom. They have at least twice the manpower they need to build the cars they can build and they can build a hell of a lot more cars than they can sell. They could start by setting a capable person at the top. Give him free range of hiring officers and all the way down to the bottom. In order to do that all current employees would get a few months notice and be able to apply for a job at the "new" GM. If they do not do that they may as well close the shop straight away.

Reply to
Gosi

Oh, yeah, I'm sure that'll go over well for morale.

IIRC, some aerospace company did just that back in teh '80s. They "fired" everyone and asked them to apply for position in the company - they could be teh same position, higher or lower.

The only two "problems" with GM aren't the line staff.

I'd say it was that you had a bean counter (lutz) in charge for several years and that they worry about the stock price on a quarterly basis.

The Japanese, Korean and other car makers don't worry about things on a quarter by quarter basis - they think long-term.

Reply to
PerfectReign

If you want to install new technology and it means fewer people working with same or more output it can mean fight with the unions. Lets say you need 1/3 of the people the unions try to keep everyone aboard. If GM can not do it others will so either they have to lose a lot of people and stay in business or lose all the people.

Reply to
Gosi

There are ways around that. I work for a union shop (LA County) and have done workforce reductions. You just have to go about it the right way.

You implement the new technology and don't say jack about staff reductions. You simply mention that there are "cost efficiencies." You then work with line management to make sure that when someone leaves, you simply don't replace the person. In the next budget cycle, you simply remove the item from the budget.

It may take longer but the union has no issues, since staff are doing the same or less work and the costs go down. The only thing the union *can* gripe about is a loss of revenue as a result of less union dues being paid. However, that isn't a valid labor management complaint.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Who determines how a vehicle will be assembled? Who has to live with those decisions and assemble the vehicle?

Who decides that the production count is more important than quality? Who gets blamed when quality drops?

Who changes the inspection tags on baskets of parts from fail to pass? Who gets blamed?

The people on the plant floor do their best to put out a quality product despite management's decisions.

Been there & did that for 40 years.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Web Site:

David Starr

While my motivation in responding is NOT because I'm pro union (because generally I am not)... but you are mistaking that GM is at the bottom of the quality chain. Have you read ANYTHING in the last two years?

GM now ranks on top in initial quality in many respects. Not to say the Honda, Toyo and Nissan aren't still excellent (along with their respective premium brands) but the durability and driving satisfaction is almost as good for a Pontiac, Buick or Chevy as it is for those we used to call "imports".

Having personally owned 13 Nissan's, and then most recently, a Chevy Impala and an Equinox, my experience with the Chevy products have been outstanding. Furthermore, the general service costs much less than any of my Nissan product. Not to say that I didn't find my Maxima's and Murano's a little more exciting, but I'm clearly spending less all the way around for the Chevy's, and am yet to have a repair of any kind.

Willy

Reply to
Willy

Unfortunately customer satisfaction in the media is measured only on new sales in the first few months of service. These problems are caused by poor work on the assembly line. Otherwise how does Honda have a high reliability rating with 25 % of their Ody transmissions failing by 100 k miles, many under 50k.

Woody

I think this is a key point... To have an excellent product, the company has to be organized and working effectively and efficiently from top to bottom. Upper management often loses sight of the goal, when awash in their sea of hubris. By the same token, the lower levels may not be able to see the problems that the guys at the top see.

Nonetheless, some companies DO manage to organize, perform, and demand excellence.

Reply to
HLS

One problem is communication up the ladder; there isn't any. When one of the VP's visits a plant, carefully selected people are handed written "questions" to ask. No one else is allowed to speak. Downward communication sucks, too. The guys in Detroit wouldn't can send a message to the plants. By the time it gets there, they wouldn't recognize it as their words. Budgets are a joke, too. In a component plant, the budget is based on so many cents per part produced, and drops over the years. As machinery ages, maintenance costs go up, but the maintenance budget shrinks. When I retired in

05, the machines in my plant were 27 years old. The maintenance budget was less than 50% of what it was when the plant started up.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Web Site:

David Starr

That is horrible!!

I'm part of senior management for LA County. There *has* to be communication between line staff and management for anything to work. I make a point to perform MBWA on a regular basis.

I know also that executive management also does the same. Various board members will occasionally visit and simply walk around - there's no scripting or anything.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Every now & then we'd be visited by the VP that headed our division. Everyone not involved got a big hoot out of the impending visit. The tour route would be mapped out & everything you could see from the route was cleaned & painted. People chose to make a presentation on their area would have to submit their speech in writing, to be gone over by the higher ups. Then, there'd be at least

2 dry runs to make sure everything would go as planned. As the tour group moved through the plant, our superintendent would scurry down the aisles ahead of the group, picking up pieces of paper & cigarette butts so the big guy wouldn't see them. People - out of sight of the tour - were rolling on the floor laughing when he put one that was still lit in his pants pocket. :-)

The absolute pinnacle of stupidity was back in the early 80's when Roger Smith headed GM. We were a new plant then, operating under a new concept. No time clocks, supervisors stayed in their offices unless they were called to the floor, the people running the machines made more decisions than the supervisors. This lasted about 2 years. Anyway - when word came down that Roger was visiting, upper management began a "competition" among the salary staff. The "winner" got the "privilege" of carrying Roger's briefcase and following him as he toured the plant. I think the "winner" got a gold star pasted on his forehead, too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Speak softly and carry a loaded .45 Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Web Site:

David Starr

Back about 1965 I was a production scheduler for a company owned by the conglomerate ITT. One day the CEO, Harold Geneen was going to visit the main office and plant, about 2 miles from our plant. They did exactly as you describe with the cleaning and painting. He was to arrive early in the morning.

What happened though was he came into town the night before. I happed to be working late and was going to leave when a limo pulls up out front. Instead of the main office, they happened by our division up the road and saw the sign so figured that was the place. When approached, I just met him and he said he'd like to see the plant so I gave him a tour of our facility. We left together and I went home; just another day for me. The next morning, I was approached by all the managers from the main office with a load of questions. What did he see? What did he ask? What did he say? At the time, I was unimpressed, but later realized what they were planning to show off. I still laugh when I think about it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski