Re: Plastic heater core connectors ????

GM might of started using plastic around 1980?

Actually I think it's more expensive to make plastic/aluminum rather than all aluminum. I think the reason they do plastic tubes is that aluminum isn't resiliant enough for the tubes and when you clamped down on the tubes with the heater hose clamps they would probably fracture at that point after a few years, unless you made the tubes really thick (like as thick as A/C evaporator core tubes)
I suspect they went to aluminum heater cores because soldered copper/brass will rot out if the antifreeze isn't kept changed. (like if someone runs water instead of antifreeze for a long time, or they use old antifreeze that has had all the corrosion inhibitors used up) Of course if they don't design the plastic to aluminum sealing area right, it will leak there, and if they use the wrong materials for the plastic, the plastic will get hard and crumble. By contrast soldered copper brass is a bit easier to get right in the manufacturing.
Ted