Re: Quad 4--1997 water pump question

You don't need to remove the chain. You'll want to line all the cams/crank up on their marks, then compress/hold/remove the chain tensioner then remove the W-pump.
GW
619 wrote:

I replaced the water pump on a 96 Z24. Had to remove the Timing chain cover, timing chain tensioner, harmonic balancer, exhaust manifold, at least one engine mount and support the engine. Had to raise/lower engine to get to some screws. There are two holes to insert pins to keep the camshafts in proper time. I had the pleasure of again adjusting the timing chain after the pump was replace but somehow I let the timing get off for one camshaft. Service Manual allows dealer 5.3 hours to change the water pump. Be prepared to work on it awhile.
Suggest you buy a service manual for the car.

and