Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

I guess that is OK if imports were actually better, as you seem to believe, and if you don't have children who might need a job some day. Your experience is the opposite of mine. I was buying imports then switched to
domestics because the imports were costing to me too much to buy and maintain.
mike hunt

competition.

Mike Hunter wrote:

If imports are better or not is certainly a matter of opinion. Your experience indicates to you that domestic cars are superior. Mine doesn't. We disagree.
On your point about my children..... If you believe that buying American cars that are inferior (if you believed that) would help protect your children's jobs, I think you'd be mistaken. It would only make the companies that you were falsely supporting believe that they actually made stuff worth buying. That's unsupportable in the long term.
You are free to believe whatever you wish. My experience with imports tell me they are not better or worse. The fact is ALL manufactures are making good vehicles today.
mike hunt

They are all good, but some are better and some are worse.
Volume of production, often sold as lower profit rental or lease vehicles, is not an indication of quality or technical level.
The fleet discounts industry wide are the same for imports as domestics, around $600 Corporate fleets are some the smartest vehicles buyers around. They want the best, since they are tools used in their business and they keep them for a long time, five years or 300K on average.
Imports try to get some of the fleet business as well, they are just not as good at doing so because they are not as cost effective to own. The only 'fleets' that imports have had any success with are the rental companies, but they don't keep their cars more than a year at the most. LOL
mike hunt

American
made
Me too, but now they happen to be domestics rather than imports
mike hunt

funny thing, the Japanese used to benchmark American cars.... to effectively make their cars better.
Today, American manufacturers are benchmarking Japanese cars (specifically Toyota, who are light years ahead in MANY segments that are not apparent to the consumer, but from an engineering/manufacturing standpoint, they are much better)
The Chevy Cobalt scored very poorly on side impact tests... new car design, well... the Corolla, basically a similar segment car, did MUCH better than the Cobalt.. they are priced equally...
Which would you buy?