Re: Screw Consumer Reports

Page 1 of 6

Pobably, rumors are that back in the day 20 plus years ago many of the American car Execs dissed consumer reports, so to this day CR adds there own little twists to the reports to diss them, then the consumer reads the reports and takes it as the gospel word and goes out and buys what they say they should buy. Strange indeed that Americans have become such sheeple who will follow the Pied Piper off a cliff if he says so.
> On 3/5/2006 11:08 AM ... Booboo Baker wrote:

The Lemming fits as well.

own
say
who
Actually, CR is probably held more in disrespect than it is in respect.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

I can't remember how long ago this was, sometimes in the mid 90's. CR rated two fords, both had a 5.0 engine, Mustang was one ,and I think the other was a Lincoln, any ways the Mustang got great reviews especially the long term reliability of the 302 engine. They then complained about the Lincoln engine being unreliable, yet it was the same engine. I've caught quite a few fau pauxs like this in many of their ratings, they praise one vehicle, and then demolish another, yet the two vehicles are identical just different badging.

> On 3/5/2006 3:57 PM ... razz wrote:

Wasn't the first time.
Omni/Horizon Nova/Corolla
Same exact cars, far different reviews of each. CR lost me 20 years ago.
Another example in CRs current ratings for the Crown Vic and the Grand Marquis, that have consistently been the most dependable value priced vehicles on the road, which are in fact the same vehicle with different trim. Rating them differently indicates their methodology is flawed and therefore useless.
mike hunt

You might consider actually looking at what CR says about cars before you denounce what they say (or more accurately didn't say).
Let's see April '06 issue p. 49. The Crown Vic gets an average rating for reliability and owner satisfaction and is recommended. Then on page 63 we have the Grand marquis that gets an average rating for reliability and for owner satisfaction and is recommended. (Both get black dots for depreciation.)
Gee, they rate the same. What the heck are you talking about?

Apparently not. Actually consumer do NOT go out and buy those recommend by CR, since their top ten vehicles does not mirror the top ten selling vehicles in the US. GM and Ford sell millions more of their vehicles annually in the US than does any import. Chrysler sells hundred of thousands more then the best selling import as well. Seems to me only those easily duped by CRs opinions are buying those suggest by CR as being 'better' vehicles LOL
mike hunt

CR has been good to us, I have no problems with their recommended best-buys, they tend to hit the nail on the head. We purchased our Club Wagon with their recommendation in mind. We had a Taurus at the time, you know, the model from hell. Well, purchased a Club anyway and have loved it (we had 4 kids then, we have 6 now with 1 on the way). It has been a good van and the problems that we have had were identified by CR so we knew what we were getting into. Maybe there is a lot of emotion behind anti-CR rhetoric. I know I can't afford to have the "BEST" car, that doesn't mean I should get mad at CR. That's stupid. I at least can know the possible problems I will experience on a percentage basis. If 95% or cars are deemed bad, I'm sure that the 5% of those who purchased good cars will strongly disagree.

Actually the percentage of GOOD cars, as reported by CR, is 98 % no mater who builds them. Only 2%, at worst, are problematic over five years, if one interprets their reports properly. ;)
mike hunt

Uh, you are abusing the term "problematic". It means:
Debatable: open to doubt or debate; "If you ever get married, which seems to be extremely problematic"
Baffling: making great mental demands; hard to comprehend or solve or believe; "a baffling problem"; "I faced the knotty problem of what to have for breakfast"; "a problematic situation at home"
It does not mean trouble-prone as you seem to think. And, again, you are misinterpreting the five year old model reliability numbers that CR publishes. Please read the caption next to the graphs.

Actually, the Honda Accord is the #2 best selling medium sized sedan. The Camry is #1. The Prius is the best selling hybrid. Honda Odysseys sell very well, although Chrysler may out-sell them (Odysseys are pricey). The Civic sells well in a crowded segment. And gee, no rebates on any of them!

Japanes cars are overated, my brothers wife has a 2000 Mazda cant rember the model, the one at the top of the line before making the Millinium. The car has maybe a little over 110k miles on it and has been thru 2 transmissions. It rides like a truck with rattles all over the place. It is there second Mazda the first one didnt last either but she still wanted another one...just goes to show how people get brainwashed.

Don't judge all Japanese cars by Ford owned, managed and product shared with Mazda.
Actually nobody should judge ANY vehicle, good or bad, by the ONE they may have owned. Particularly if you are a used car buyer. ;)
mike hunt

rember
second
Of course, they is always a minority that will believe the opinions of the rest of the others in the minority.
mike hunt

The
You certainly are entitled to your own opinion and can spend your money wherever you wish. If you want to rely on the opinions of others, look at the sales figures. Most buyers do not agree with your opinion or spend their money were you do, or as CR suggests. When it comes time to spend their hard earned money US buyers buy a lot more products for GM, Ford and Chrysler than they do from Toyota, Honda or any other import brand, period. The true test of what is 'best' is in the total annual sales figures. Obviously more buyer believe domestics make the better vehicles
mike hunt