Re: Sluge in coolant tank

I don't see how the owner can be responsible. GM tells people that the cooling system is good to go for 5 years or 100,000 miles. Our '02 Oldsmobile had all kinds of crap floating in the coolant when it was only 18 months old. I flushed the system, replaced the radiator cap and removed and cleaned out the recovery tank myself. Then I refilled with Prestone's Dexcool, which supposedly has a slightly different formula than Texaco's.
That was about 2 years ago, and so far the sludge has not returned.
I went the extra mile to correct a problem, but the problem was caused by GM and/or Texaco.
This vehicle also had the famous leaking intake manifold gasket failure. Clearly a GM problem.
This is probably our last GM vehicle. Too many problems, crappy resale value and mostly untrustworthy dealerships.
Sad really, John

Good for you, I hope it works out.

GM has admitted that there were design problems with some of the intake manifold gaskets but not everyone experiences the problem.

Well, here's a surprise for you, foreign car manufacturers also put out cars with defects and have "untrustworthy" dealerships too. I've owned both foreign and domestic and GM has proven to be no worse than anyone else.
Had a friend that bought a new Acura and after many thousands of dollars in engine and tranny repairs, he bought a "crappy" used Chevy that he drove longer than the Acura and with fewer repairs. He now owns another "superior" Acura (what a sucker).
When you own something, regardless of what the manufacturer says, it's your job to maintain it (and that doesn't mean waiting until something breaks before you lift the hood). I've found that the smaller dealerships usually give better service. I have dealerships in several states that I use and some that I avoid. All of the ones use are small, family-owned dealerships (and the ones I avoid are much larger)..