Re: TCC solenoid plug?

Again, this is why it's *always* easier to disconnect/bypass the TCC at the brake pedal switch instead..

Cavalier a

If working in tight spaces are your thing. Once we found the plug on the tranny it took MAYBE a minute to get it off and once we get the solenoid fixed it'll be back on there in 2 or 3 seconds.

The problems with doing it at the tranny are as follows:
- Virtually all the time, the plug is covered in crud. It's a dirty job.
- Often, the plug is stuck, and removal isn't easy.. I've seen people break the locking tabs, or the plug itself trying to remove it... Some people pull on the wires, and then there's even *bigger* problems.
- And last but not least, while the plug remains removed, it usually fills up with more crud, and the connectors corrode. The possibility of a short exists, also, as the harness will simply flop around under the hood, exposed. If/when the time comes to reconnect it, trouble can result as a result of gunk in the connector, worn/chaffed wiring, or both.
I still prefer the quick and simple brake-pedal method.. :-)

I should post a pic of our plug..it's pretty damned clean at 100k miles. I'm not sure if it's the exception or anything since this is the first one I've pulled. The other ones I can see happening. I've seen people pull wires trying to get plugs out and I've seen people break plugs and tabs (The guy I bought my GP from couldn't figure out how to undo the tabs to the foglight electrical so he just cut off wires from the old light and left it plugged in). If people would tie it up to something else and protect the connecters and socket once they got them disconnected then they wouldn't have that problem. I don't think that I could really see anyone doing that stuff though.
Part of the reason that I hate tight spaces in cars is because I did some wiring under the dash and I had to recline my seat and kinda lay in it backwards with my feet hangin over the headrest. Something I have since decided that was the only time that'll ever happen :P