Re: The great misfire question .. help!!

An easier way to do a cylinder balance test:
Get some 1/4" vacuum hose, and cut 1/2' long pieces, cut six of them. Put one under each boot at the coil end of the plug wire, and push them up equally, then put the plug wires back on to the coil. I advise doing this one at a time.
Then get a good 12 volt test lamp, ground the alligator clip, and go near the opening of the boot one by one, and observe the drop in the engine RPM by ear. But, don't do this too long, you'll toast the catalytic converter. This will tell you which cylinder makes less of a difference.
Also, it is possible to cross the wires on the same coil, and not have a total miss, but a slight miss. Get a compression tester, if the compression is good, start looking for loose vacuum lines and spray carb cleaner lightly around all the vacuum lines and throttle body and areas around it.
Be careful with the carb cleaner too, too much will hit the catalytic converter, and your will kill you if you turn the car into a Tostito!
I hope this helps?
Refinish King

am I the only one that does not understand this? Maybe I need a picture, but I don't get it. hose on the coil?
I am confused...
Rich

The procedure describes installing short lengths of vacuum hose in series -in- the secondary circuit. (Vacuum hose will conduct secondary current.) The pieces of vacuum hose will give you an exposed place where a grounded test light can be touched, shunting the secondary current to ground thru the test light effectively allowing the secondary to be canceled to that a cylinder balance test can be performed.
Short pieces of hose:
So that the wire doesn't seat fully, and when you use the test lamp. It grounds the spark, in effect working like a cylinder balance tester. then when you're done, take out the short pieces of hose from "inside the wire boot"
Refinish King

Well, I've decided to take her to the doctor .. She's got a problem, and I can't figure it out...

Let us know if the " doctor " pronounces her dead.......
========Harryface ======== 1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~281,540 miles_~_~_